noob looking for help buying laptop

majax

I will be needing a laptop to play dvds at regular speed...no buffering or freezing. Could someone tell me what is the fastest internet service? I can surf the internet anywhere, right? I told you I was a noob. If someone could recommend a really good monitor brand that would be great. A really good picture is important to me. I will also be using it for college papers, assignments, logging into online classrooms. I want to have video clips on it but the internet is very important to me. I was looking at alienware laptops but I really don't know what I'm looking for. Could someone either start me out or make a recommendation. I'm looking for a sleek design mixed with funcionability. I'm not interested in purchasing anyone's old laptop nor am I building my own. Thanks for any help.

Lax

VIP Member
Emachines, Asus, Acer, and to a lesser extent HP (which make ok machines too). For what you want (No games) almost any laptop would be ok for what you're asking. As for internet services that all depends on what you get. For your house there's cable and DSL. Cable has nice up and down speeds but it's usually a static IP. DSL has good down speeds but not up speeds (depending on what service you have). FIOS (new verizon stuff) is supposed to have 15Mbps down with 5Mbps up. If you're wondering what other people have (or whatever you're using when you use your laptop) that depends on where you use it. College's and the like usually OC-12 or OC-48 (super fast stuff but slow because of the amount of computers in use).

majax

Follow up

Hey,

I have a couple of follow up questions. I want a laptop that has style and the ooohhh factor too. I am confused about internet hookup. It's wireless right? I have cable internet and I love it. Would that be the same for the laptop? I might be living on campus but for now I'm in a apartment. So, what is the fastest speed I can get? I'm guessing based on the prior statement that that I would get cable access. I will be using my laptop on a plane. I also will have a webcam that I want to run from the laptop. Thanks.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Many laptops are comming with wireless, but you must have the conection nearby(say your router) to actually connect. It's not like your cellphone(though there are cards that work like that, but they are $$$)

Fastest speed on the campus net is limited to their connection.

I would reccomend an Averatec, but the battery life isn't too swift on mine(about 2 hours with lots of battery saving features)