[Noob Moments] Forgetting to plug things in.

Pocket

I'm pretty sure everyone has done this at least once before.

I'll start...

Buying my first video card and failing to plug a power cord into the video card. I booted up and found nVidea giving me a warning about the card not receiving enough power. Only one way to fix this... buy a new power supply! Aaand... nope. Same error, 100$ and 2 days later I find the power plugin.

ganzey

banned
oh yea, 2 days ago. i reapplied AS5 to my video card. i just carried up my stairs, to my car, in his house, did everything on carpet with no grounding strap, came home and popped it in and it didnt work. i freaked out. then i realised it wasnt plugged in :D i thought i fried it

ScottALot

Wondering why I got 80C temps:
First time: Heatsink was falling off.
Second time: Forgot TIM
Third time: Forgot to take plastic protective film off
Fourth time: Too much TIM

Epic facepalm moment: Resting my feet on the on/off switch of the "surge protector" extension wire... computer just went "Byoooooo" and I was like WTF?!

Stoic Sentinel

Worse I had was spending 30 minutes looking for why my computer wouldn't turn on, turns out, the 24-pin wasn't plugged in completely...

G25r8cer

Worst I had is when I cut my side panel window too small. It's a pain trying to get another cut going.

Really I have not had any hardware problems or errors but, more software problems

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
When I bought my 9600GSO a year or so ago, I had to disassenble a lot of stuff (move hard drives, cables, etc) so I could get it to fit in my case right. Well I was trying to boot it up and my computer kept beeping at me. I had no idea what the problem was. The card was plugged in, so it should have worked.

Turned out I forgot to put my memory back in the slots :p:eek:

linkin

VIP Member
took apart my computer for cleaning and magically fried the PSU. it wasn't even plugged into power, and nothing else died. :eek:

forcibly put a stick of memory the worng way in and realised i did before i powered on. :p

One time in my old computer i put a new psu in and didn't plug anything it :p:eek:

Machin3

When I bought my 9600GSO a year or so ago, I had to disassenble a lot of stuff (move hard drives, cables, etc) so I could get it to fit in my case right. Well I was trying to boot it up and my computer kept beeping at me. I had no idea what the problem was. The card was plugged in, so it should have worked.

Turned out I forgot to put my memory back in the slots :p:eek:

Hah! +1, The other day I was finishing a low budget build for my friends dad. The video card had no power because it came straight through the motherboard but when I turned it on, nothing. It was because there was no memory. :D

Davoguha

Epic Moment of Stupidity: Disabling on-board graphics card manually before checking to see if the new video card even works.

Even Worse: Formatting the entire computer to fix the problem instead of using my other computer to ask here for an easy fix.

Laquer Head

I bought a new Asus 26" lcd and I am all pumped up, ready to try it out, plug in the dvi-vga, and turn on machine!..

Just a black screen...

Ohh, I'm a moron..I plugged the DVI-end into GPU and VGA into mobo!!

so I shake my head--plug the vga end into the monitor and...still nothing..I go to store to buy HDMI-to-HDMI...why not--use the full potential..

Still nothing..then it hit me..monitors need to be plugged into the power bar to work...!

linkin

VIP Member
I bought a new Asus 26" lcd and I am all pumped up, ready to try it out, plug in the dvi-vga, and turn on machine!..

Just a black screen...

Ohh, I'm a moron..I plugged the DVI-end into GPU and VGA into mobo!!

so I shake my head--plug the vga end into the monitor and...still nothing..I go to store to buy HDMI-to-HDMI...why not--use the full potential..

Still nothing..then it hit me..monitors need to be plugged into the power bar to work...!

:p

My brother did something similar with his asus 22"

awildgoose

I blame the ASUS LCD....

this was [strike]NOT[/strike] user error...:D

:p

When I did my first case mod, I cut two holes for 120mm fans on my side cover. I put the fans on, but the side wouldn't go on, then I realized I put the holes too far left and high so the fans were hitting the PSU and part of the bracket *facepalm*
It's okay I have spare side covers.

ScottALot

There's this one freakin' mentally challenged kid that's not really mentally challenged in my computer club. I (I'm president, W00T) was trying to assist him in rewiring his cables in his little server thingamabob and I suggested getting new hard drives that use SATA interface. He kinda told me to screw off as he was hooking up his IDE cable, turning on the power, and completely frying his hard drive and the IDE port on his motherboard because the cable was bad. :D :D :D :D :D

Stoic Sentinel

There's this one freakin' mentally challenged kid that's not really mentally challenged in my computer club. I (I'm president, W00T) was trying to assist him in rewiring his cables in his little server thingamabob and I suggested getting new hard drives that use SATA interface. He kinda told me to screw off as he was hooking up his IDE cable, turning on the power, and completely frying his hard drive and the IDE port on his motherboard because the cable was bad. :D :D :D :D :D

PWNED, his reaction please? :good: