*noob questions* need to make a pc into server for use with multiple operating system

manchildjr

I apologize in advance I have never delved to far into servers but i want to learn all i can about as much as I can and this is on my to do list.

Ok so i have a 2 candidate computes. One is a little acer aspire with a small 1.2ghz processor, 2gbs of ram and a 250gb hdd with ubuntu 12.04 (open to changing it to another linux based OS as long as it has a gui). The other has 2.66ghz processor with 1gb of ramm (old mobo with 1gb limit) and a 50gb hdd with kubuntu 12.04.3 and winxp pro. I plan on hooking up a 1tb external to it so I'd like to be able to access its content from any computer i have.

What kind of server protocol should I use. I want to be able to give my family limited access and only me full access. I'd like to be able to access it from a virtually any OS (windows, mac, android, obviously Linux). I'd also like to access it from a friends house.

Another noob question and i apologize for even asking but I am curious. My friend has been wanting to run i minecraft server. Can I run a minecraft and nas/ftp/samba style program off the same server and it still be moderately secure?

Again I apologize I am new to severs and have lots of questions :confused:

Last edited: