Noob task manager question

ObsessedOne

Ok fixed all my other task manager problems except that now my Iexplorer takes up 56,000K and it runs extremely slowly. I may have accidentally ended it's program through the task manager.

Edit: Crap the problem started all over again this time I don't have viruses or spyware. My computer lags out with java and Iexplorer.

Last edited:

IS_Contractor

First off, this probably isn't the right forum.

For questions like this, you may want to post the specs for your computer...
Processor speed... amount of memory... operating system... etc.

My guess is that you probably have spyware hogging up your resources, since you say you're pretty much a newbie to computers. That would be my first guess.

Second guess would be that you have a slow pc with a low amount of memory. Nowadays with broadband available, I can't really see having anything less than a 2 Gig Processor speed with a bare minimum of 512 Megs of RAM. I have a 1.7 overclocked to a little over 1.8 and think it's too slow. Another thing is software nowadays hogs resources... well it pretty much always has since DOS. Which is why processors become obsolete so fast.

Another thing may be virtual memory and hard drive space left.

ObsessedOne

Sadly I'm even more noob than you prabably think, because I dont understand half of what you said. Maybe I could take a screenshot of my task manager stuff, but i don't even remember which Fuction Key is used for screenshots.

Here's some specs I guess:

CPU Usage: all over the place. High whenever I use a Java program.
PF Usage: 292 MB

Totals
Handles 10583
Threads 441
Processes 39

Commit Charge
Total 299804
Limit 559812 (used to be around 800,000)
Peak 338988 (was 559812)

Physical Memory (K)
Total 228896
Available 50568
System Cache 76566

Kernel Memory (K)
Total 34480
Paged 28392
Nonpaged 6084

Hopefully that helps I use a windows XP.

Last edited:

TheChef

javaw.exe is a Java process that is affiliated with Internet Explorer. Deleting it could be why IE is taking up a few to many resources. Do you have your Windows XP CD?

sniperchang

ObsessedOne said:
Hopefully this is in the right section. If it's not I'm sorry, because I'm not very experienced with computers at all. Lately, I thought I understood task manager and I started messing with it. I was stupid and deleted javaw several times thinking it would temporarily boost my computer's speed. Now my CPU usuage is going crazy sometimes staying at 100% sometimes staying at 2% and my internet explorer is taking up 42,000K. I'm not sure if that's bad or good, but my computer has slowed down to be extremely slow and sometimes windows dissapear without me even pressing anything. Please help!

It's not a good ideal to mess with the processes in task Manager, because those are there to make your computer run smoothly! Processes are information being prossesed, so things that are running, will have some sort of process to them.

If you messed up the java process, try re-installing JAVA. Usualy a processes comes back if you restart your computer. Can you find out what process is taking most of the % of your CPU when it's going 100%?

EDIT: here's a link to the JAVA downlaod place if you need it: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Hopefully that will restore the missing processes. Good luck ;)

EDIT: oh, and if you want to, you can also check if it's spyware hogging up your ressource. Here is a nice program that can scan and remove any harmfull adware, http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Last edited:

ObsessedOne

Ok I'm all good except now my Iexplorer is taking up 56,000K. and it's running VERY slowly.

Edit: Sorry double post thought I was editing.

Last edited:

ObsessedOne

yes, I quarantined and deleted 231 objects detected to be viruses with Ad-Adware SE Personal, which made me feel better but didn't speed up my computer.

sniperchang

ObsessedOne said:
yes, I quarantined and deleted 231 objects detected to be viruses with Ad-Adware SE Personal, which made me feel better but didn't speed up my computer.

231? wow. Do you also have a anti-virus program, adware is only half, there's still virus'. I suggest you buy a firewall and anti-virus program if you don't have one.

If nothing works, you can still reformat your computer, that will definitly fix the problem, it'll just take more time. Cheers :eek:

sniperchang

????

ObsessedOne said:
I have an anti-virus program, a firewall, and macaffee shield (spelling?). My computer is still very slow however.

Hmmm, I can't think of anything else. If I were in your situation I would reformat. That way you can start fresh.

sniperchang

ObsessedOne said:
I've asked in a number of places and I always here reformat. What do you mean by reformat? How would I do this?

Reformating is basicly erasing everything on your hard drive, and starting from scratch. You can use the windows XP CD to delete existing partitian, and craeting a new one. Then you'll have to install windows.

ObsessedOne

sniperchang said:
Reformating is basicly erasing everything on your hard drive, and starting from scratch. You can use the windows XP CD to delete existing partitian, and craeting a new one. Then you'll have to install windows.

(censored) If I did do that could I save any files onto it?