noob with some ?s

Jackson_T

hello,

My name is Jackson and as you can tell I am new to this forum. I need some help with buying a video card.

If you don't mind, could you answer some questions for me?

1) I am looking for a video card and I was thinking about getting a nvidia 6800 gt but I only have a 4x agp slot. Would this card work?

a) If so will a 8x card not work as well in a 4x slot?

2) Is there a way to "unlock safely" the other pipelines to make it a 16 pipeline card?

3) is this a good card?

4) would you recommend another card?

5) it seems like the level down of cards are at the $200 level. Is it worth the extra $200 for the nvidia?

Thanks,
Jackson

maverick77_uk

Hiya,

1) The 6800 GT comes as a 8X AGP or PCI-express. The PCI-express model is a completely different connection, so don't touch that one. The AGP 8X model will physically fit. Whether it works is a bit more complicated.... 4X mobo's use a AGP 2 standard, that signals a 1.5V. The 8X use AGP 3 standard, that signals at 0.8V. All AGP3 (8X) video cards HAVE to be tolerant of 1.5V. That means that by sticking the card into a AGP2 (4X) slot, it won't blow anything up. HOWEVER, even though you won't physically damage the card, it may not like the 1.5V it gets from the Mobo, so may not work. For using 8X cards in 4X slots, the only way is plug it in a see. Try checking the exact make of card you're planning on using, and your Mobo make and model, and check it out on the net and see if other people have had success or failure. The only way to be totally safe is to use 4X cards in 4X slots and 8X cards in 8X slots.

I'm currently running and AGP3 8X 5200 card in an AGP2 4X slot no probs.

b) Correct. Even if it works, it will be limited to signalling at 4X.

2) No. Haven't looked at the specs of the card, but in most cases, when the GPU has fewer pipelines than a "big brother" card, its because in manufacture, the pipelines didn't work, so they downgrade the chip so they can still sell it as a more basic model - the ones that manufacture well, with everything working are their pricey chips, the ones that don't work so well, have functions disabled, or run hot are downgraded to a level they can then be sold at. Same principals as with different speeds of the same CPU's by Intel and AMD.

3) Yes

4) How long is a piece of string? Look at the ATI X800's I guess.....

5) I'd say no, but then again I'm running an 5200 quite happily! ;)

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
No. Haven't looked at the specs of the card, but in most cases, when the GPU has fewer pipelines than a "big brother" card, its because in manufacture, the pipelines didn't work, so they downgrade the chip so they can still sell it as a more basic model
NO.jpg
Each Nvidia chip is made with a seperate process, this reduces costs for the mainstream/budget models. For ATI, yes that statement is partially true because all the chips from a given line (ie. x600 line, or x800 line) share the same manufacturering process.
Most ATI cards can have additional pipelines unlocked by flashing the VGA BIOS of the basic card to that of the high end.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I am looking for a video card and I was thinking about getting a nvidia 6800 gt but I only have a 4x agp slot. Would this card work?
It'll work :)

If so will a 8x card not work as well in a 4x slot?
The cinoyrer wont "know" that its an 8X AGP card so it wont matter

Is there a way to "unlock safely" the other pipelines to make it a 16 pipeline card?
The 6800GT is a 16pipe card so no unlocking is needed :p

is this a good card?
Yes

would you recommend another card?
ATi's X800XL ... roughly the same specs but $100 cheaper or so :)

it seems like the level down of cards are at the $200 level. Is it worth the extra $200 for the nvidia?
Its not an issue of nVidia or ATI because ATI's price bracketing is roughly the same as well (if not more expensive)

but in most cases, when the GPU has fewer pipelines than a "big brother" card, its because in manufacture, the pipelines didn't work, so they downgrade the chip so they can still sell it as a more basic model - the ones that manufacture well, with everything working are their pricey chips, the ones that don't work so well, have functions disabled, or run hot are downgraded to a level they can then be sold at.
1. The 6800GT has 16 pipes so unlocking is needed
2. Softmodding is quite safe -- if it doesnt work then you un-softmod it
3. Uhhh no. Fewer pipes just means it takes longer to perform pipe-intensive operations.

Same principals as with different speeds of the same CPU's by Intel and AMD.
What principles might these be?

Most ATI cards can have additional pipelines unlocked by flashing the VGA BIOS of the basic card to that of the high end
1. Softmodding would prolly be easier
2. ATi cards, with respect to flashing, if it goes wrong .. tend to fck up more than nvidia ones or at least thats been my experience :)

maverick77_uk

Hi all,

Hi Praetor - just mentioning the testing and downgrading of chips - CPU manufacturers create however-many chips from a wafer, then test them all. Those that run cool at a high speed are sold as higher-specced chips, those that run hot are slowed down til they run at on OK temp, and then sold as the lower specced chips.

See ya

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The X800XL only comes in PCI-E for now. I suspect they will have an AGP model Q1 2005 but dunno ... would be uber stupid for them not to but then again a quick look at their product line and strategy....... ;)

Hi Praetor - just mentioning the testing and downgrading of chips - CPU manufacturers create however-many chips from a wafer, then test them all. Those that run cool at a high speed are sold as higher-specced chips, those that run hot are slowed down til they run at on OK temp, and then sold as the lower specced chips.
indeed you are correct but you should look more closely at the details -- when you say the 6800GT is missing pipes comapred to the 6800U -- you are totally incorrect. Like i said before, both the GT and the U have 16/6 pipes so the comment about missing pipes or downgraded chips doesnt hold :)