Noobness that has tried fixing problem by himself

The_Shear

Ok. I've done a little bit of looking around on the webs, and basically come to the conclusion the problem is either my graphics card, ram, cpu or motherboard.
Fans move, connected to the mobo or otherwise.
so, narrowed down.

Graphics card.
No signal at all is sent to the monitor, because the led stays 'orange'.
Also got warm after leaving system on for 5 minutes.

Ram.
I don't actually know. See motherboard.

Cpu
I guess the only way to take it out of the question is to try it in a different mobo?
Can leave on for longer the see if any heat is created by leaving the heatsink fan unplugged.

Mobo.
No beeping. The computer i'm on now sometimes beeps if i've rattled tjhe case too hard before turning it on, and manuals of both computers say a beep should be heard.
So, is the case the motherboard? I know 4/5 of fark all about the technicalities of motherboards, and reading can only help so much. Not my exact scenario, blah blah.

A list, just in case

SilverStone 500w
ASUS P5K/EPU
Gigabyte 1gb 9600, passive version.
G-SKILL ddr2 pc8000
Intel E8400 duo, 775.
Uuuuuuuuh.
HDD's,(From old *Currently using* rig)
Master XP SP2
Slave

Hdd's def work,

Now.
This is something I really want to get out of the way.
Regardless of what drivers are installed on the hdd's, the system should at least boot into bios, correct?
And if not, make noises to say something is disconnected.

Please say something that isn't replace mobo =)

robot_bride

Could be by accident, it used to happen on the old webcomic forums often enough, even with me; you press back, edit, submit again. Terribly embarassing when you can't delete your own mistake, it's like a double post except more embarassing.

Kesava

yes some are accidents. but if your posting with differnt titles then usually you mean to do it

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Regardless of the OP's Posting intentions, four replies and not a single smattering of assistance? Le sigh...

Graphics card.
No signal at all is sent to the monitor, because the led stays 'orange'.
Also got warm after leaving system on for 5 minutes.

Normal; some get warm, others hot to the touch. It depends on the kind of card, its cooling capabilities, and how hard it's used.

Ram.
I don't actually know. See motherboard.

How many sticks?

Mobo.
No beeping. The computer i'm on now sometimes beeps if i've rattled tjhe case too hard before turning it on, and manuals of both computers say a beep should be heard.
So, is the case the motherboard? I know 4/5 of fark all about the technicalities of motherboards, and reading can only help so much. Not my exact scenario, blah blah.

Different beeps mean different things, and each set varies by Board manufacturer/model. The Motherboard and Case are two separate entities. THe case is what houses all your other components. The MoBo is the largest part inside the cae - flat board with different slots/plugs - everything plugs into the MoBo at some point: CPU, video card, RAM, etc.

Now.
This is something I really want to get out of the way.
Regardless of what drivers are installed on the hdd's, the system should at least boot into bios, correct?
And if not, make noises to say something is disconnected.

Drivers have nothing to do with BIOS. BIOS is a self-contained mini-operating system that functions regardless of what's installed on a Hard Drive. In fact, you can have just a MoBo, CPU, PSU, RAM, and a monitor hookup and still enter BIOS. There are a few reasons you're not getting a display. Is your CPU, RAM, and video card seated properly? In each of those cases, there's usually a warning beep(s) to alert you of a problem, so if you're not hearing anything, check to make sure your case speakers are hooked up to the proper MoBo jacks (see your manual for where they are).

Just out of curiosity, where did you get this system? The specs you listed don't appear to be from a pre-built manufacturer, and you mentioned you weren't to apt with systems as a whole.

andy_mitch92

Sounds like a power supply to me. I had one go out on a compaq and if you beat the computer it would turn on but only long enough to show the bios splash screen.

The_Shear

Regardless of the OP's Posting intentions, four replies and not a single smattering of assistance? Le sigh...

Normal; some get warm, others hot to the touch. It depends on the kind of card, its cooling capabilities, and how hard it's used.

How many sticks?

Different beeps mean different things, and each set varies by Board manufacturer/model. The Motherboard and Case are two separate entities. THe case is what houses all your other components. The MoBo is the largest part inside the cae - flat board with different slots/plugs - everything plugs into the MoBo at some point: CPU, video card, RAM, etc.

Drivers have nothing to do with BIOS. BIOS is a self-contained mini-operating system that functions regardless of what's installed on a Hard Drive. In fact, you can have just a MoBo, CPU, PSU, RAM, and a monitor hookup and still enter BIOS. There are a few reasons you're not getting a display. Is your CPU, RAM, and video card seated properly? In each of those cases, there's usually a warning beep(s) to alert you of a problem, so if you're not hearing anything, check to make sure your case speakers are hooked up to the proper MoBo jacks (see your manual for where they are).

Just out of curiosity, where did you get this system? The specs you listed don't appear to be from a pre-built manufacturer, and you mentioned you weren't to apt with systems as a whole.

Ok, to get the double post thing out of the way, I was NOT trying to get more attention. All people who browse forums notice these things!
I copy the whole 'story' that I wrote out, just in case the browser crashes or some handy thing that stops me from recovering said story. I copied, posted and browser locked up, go figure.
Re-open, didn't see my thread so posted again, with a different name. Couldn't remember old one.

SO, I do apologize, and if a mod wants to delete a thread, please do so to the other one, AFTER I thank the one replier for replying.

Ok, to answer this kind gentleman.(Lady?)

Ok. The ram, 2x 2gb of pc 8000 G-SKILL ram
Could try using a different stick.
Er.

I know bios works regardless of hdd, just wanted to double check =)
Er, I sorta uhm. Chose the bits and pieces myself, after making sure everything was compatible. Kinda.

NOW. Something that guy in my 'attention seeking' thread brought up was the little 2x2 power pin slot thing, the atx12v thing. Does the mobo come with that connection, or am I supposed to apparate it from my psu? Can't find one in my bag of tricks.

So that's what I neeeeeeed...
Ah. Cool lol.
Cheers guys, will read anything else you have to say =)

AND. Is the pre-applied thermal crap on the stock intel heatsink actually useful?

idealsreturn

Surprised no one else has suggested it yet, have you tried resetting your bios? if not the way to do this is to completely remove all power connections, then take out the little Li-Ion battery in the motherboard, keep it out for a few minutes then replace it, if you are still not getting a POST beep then the motherboard is likely faulty.