Northbridge fan question

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi all,

im gonna overclock my e6300,im hoping to get to 3 - 3.1Ghz if im very lucky with my new ram.

i managed to get to 2.8Ghz with my old 667mhz ram so,however do you guys think i should add a Chipset cooling fan to my Northbridge?

hwo about this?

Coolbits chipset fan

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=49106

someone asks teh question on there....

Q) what do you use to make it hold onto the heatsink - chris

A) via an adhesive heatpad

surely this cant just stick on the heatsink and nto fall off? :D you think if i carefully used two short screws on the top left and bottom right of the fan i could screw it in between the find of the heatsink like they do on some older AMD cpu coolers?

g4m3rof1337

Hmm, so you want to know how to attach the cooler to the Northbridge?

This is your motherboard, right?
msi_p35_neo_f_ip35.jpg

I searched the mobo in your sig.

I'm not entirely sure how to attach that cooler to that stock heatsink..

You can try your screw idea..

If I find anything information, I'll post back.

tidyboy21

If that’s your board pictured above then its no problem fixing a fan to it. All you need to do is: first choose the fan (Usually 40-60mm, 10mm thick). You will need the screw length to be around double the thickness of the fan. So, say you are using a fan that is 10mm thick, go for a screw about 20mm long. Put the screw through one corner of the fan then just push the screw/ fan in to the fins of the NB heatsink. I have done this a load of times and have never had a problem.

g4m3rof1337

If that’s your board pictured above then its no problem fixing a fan to it. All you need to do is: first choose the fan (Usually 40-60mm, 10mm thick). You will need the screw length to be around double the thickness of the fan. So, say you are using a fan that is 10mm thick, go for a screw about 20mm long. Put the screw through one corner of the fan then just push the screw/ fan in to the fins of the NB heatsink. I have done this a load of times and have never had a problem.

Yeah, that would probably work best.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks guys i picked up a 40x40 fan and screwed it in between the fisn of the heatsink,fits nicely in the middle ;)

looks nice aswell,do you guys know how/if i can find out what my Northbridge temps are?