northbridge, southbridge cooling???

noremacyug

i just recieved my thermalright sp-97 heatsink with a tornado 92cm fan, as well as some new kingston hyper-x pc-3500 ram and of coarse some arctic silver 5. im planning to overclock here soon after i get everything put into a new case. but what id like to know is whether or not its necessary to swap out the stock northbridge cooling on my abit nf-7 mobo and if so, with what? im not sure i can fit anything else there once the sp-97 is mounted. also what about the southbridge, will it need or benefit much from placing passive or active cooling on it? im hoping to push my athalon 2500 xp to a 200fsbx11 or perhaps higher if itll go. id just like an opinion from you more experienced folk.

thanks in advance

Rico

yes

You will need to get better cooling for the Northbridge (that's the larger one right?) and the southbridge will be fine with no cooler / stock (if you have it).
The only things you really need to cool are the Processor, Nothbridge, and Video Card. Or if you have Hi Performance ram they might come with heat sinks from the manufacturer. HDD cooling is only for the uptmost hardcores who push their PC to THE LIMIT.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Doesnt the NF7 come with a fan for the northbridge? In either case, either get a fan or a bige aluminum heatsink (without a fan -- i.e., like almost all ASUS mobos). Fans on the northbridge arent entirely neccesary -- if you get a copper heatsink for it however you virtually must put a fan on it -- however if you get an aluminum one, a fan isnt needed. In either case the fan will most likely cause more dust to traverse through the area and eventually form a layer of insulation (bad).

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Doesnt the NF7 come with a fan for the northbridge? In either case, either get a fan or a bige aluminum heatsink (without a fan -- i.e., like almost all ASUS mobos). Fans on the northbridge arent entirely neccesary -- if you get a copper heatsink for it however you virtually must put a fan on it -- however if you get an aluminum one, a fan isnt needed. In either case the fan will most likely cause more dust to traverse through the area and eventually form a layer of insulation (bad).

all nf7 mobos come with an abit aluminum heatsink and fan. they are known for dying or becoming LOUD...so i repaced mine with a vantec copper cooler/fan. does alot better in my opinion. also changed southbridge to copperplate instead of NOTHING. probably not necessary..but its nice to look at..all shiny. lol

noremacyug

4W4K3 said:
all nf7 mobos come with an abit aluminum heatsink and fan. they are known for dying or becoming LOUD...so i repaced mine with a vantec copper cooler/fan. does alot better in my opinion. also changed southbridge to copperplate instead of NOTHING. probably not necessary..but its nice to look at..all shiny. lol

thats what i ended up doing as well. may be little or no performance gain. but it looks nice.