NorthQ Black Magic 850W vs. Antec TruePower New 650W.

TFT

VIP Member
@meticadpa

Gee man, myself and probably quite a few others were prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt after the first foray, but WTF gives with this thread ?

I can see no good reason why you would post this question when you blatantly tell everyone how much more you know on the subject than anyone else here. Unless to cause more animosity between members.

We don't need this crap, we aren't all "fountains of knowledge", nor do we profess to be. But what we are, are decent folk with good all round knowledge willing to help out anyone with a valid question.

You sir are going down in my estimation, I am not doubting your ability or knowledge just the way you are applying it.

If you are indeed here to stay then wind your neck in a little and "join the community" rather than alienate yourself from it.

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not a noob when it comes to power supplies.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not a power supply noob, I'd wager that I know as much - if not more - than any of the people in the thread...

For those of us that have read your posts, at this point, I think we'd all agree that you're knowledgeable in the PSU department. You don't really have anything to prove. To claim, or wager, that you may be more knowledgeable than the others in this thread is a bit unfair and perhaps a bit arrogant. You haven't been a member here long enough to make such a judgment, in my opinion. Stranglehold, for example, is pretty much considered an OG around here, and he's been using computers for as long as you've been alive. lol. At 15, and this not a personal attack on your age, I doubt your hands on experience matches his, not by a long shot.

Anyway, I'm not trying to "fuel the fire" or further any hostilities, it's just an honest observation. If you guys continue to battle it out, please mop the blood off the floor when you leave. lol. :p

Eventually, I hope we can all see each other on equal footing and become one happy family. Too much tension around here lately... :(

Is that your stock post now, I've seen it a few times. It adds nothing, pisses me off, and eats bandwidth. Give it a rest :)

LOL welcome back Buzz. I see you're back to your old grumpy ways. Go take a nap. :p

Last edited:

zeke1312

Not to burst any bubbles here but a few statements concerning power supplies are at best questionable. My credits? I've worked in the mainframe computer maintenance field for 35 years. "Ripples", "Old vs new", etc. Ever 'scoped a rail to observe power output? If you know what an oscilloscope is and have used one I'll listen to you.

bomberboysk

Not to burst any bubbles here but a few statements concerning power supplies are at best questionable. My credits? I've worked in the mainframe computer maintenance field for 35 years. "Ripples", "Old vs new", etc. Ever 'scoped a rail to observe power output? If you know what an oscilloscope is and have used one I'll listen to you.

I have two 'scopes myself, an old one i made from a tube tv just to play with as well as a 100mhz Instek one....

bomberboysk

Its how much dirty DC output you have from the AC input current.

Yeah, a good nautical analogy is the ocean and a harbor, a better harbor will keep large waves to a minimum while a poor harbor will not protect as well. Basically it is next to impossible to have zero ripple from a DC power supply, but better units will keep ripple to a minimum.(However, something like a battery will provide a true DC current).

StrangleHold

Staff member

bomberboysk

The TX850 is made by Channel Well and its well within specification but not one of the best, but I didnt mean that in a bad way. Its a good quality power supply.

Look at the difference between it and the PC P&C 910.

Corsair
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=690&type=expert&pid=6

PC P&C
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=790&type=expert&pid=6
Another thing to remember is the TX850 is based on the CWT PSH series, which has an upper design maximum of 850W output(and actually falls slightly below 80% effeciency at/near its maximum load).
The TX850 is still an excellent unit, better than most other units available but still not the best you can get.(Corsair should have done a bit more tweaking to the design, for instance the zalman unit i have is based off the FSP epsilon design, which is a good design but had poor ripple, zalman modified some of the capacitors and such used in it and ripple is the lowest ive seen next to a pcp&c turbocool).

Last edited:

Okedokey

I guess, though, 9.5 out of 10 is about as good as anyone could ask for $120.

Also, neither of those systems in question will get anywhere near that load.