Norton 05 slows down pc! Better Alternative?

james76

I put norton 05 on my pc and the start-up time was doubled! It loads up the log on screen and just wates there for about 3 mins (with the loadin light of the pc off) Is there any better alternative security programme? Possibly one that the mother isnt going to nag about when it asks me what to do if a programme is connecting to the internet etc!

thanks in advance.

Hellbreather

Most anti-virus programs will ask for what to do when a program attempts to connect to the Internet. Well not one that will actually stop viruses :p anyway. You could try McAfee it didn't ask in the earlier version not to sure about the newer

Charlie7940

When I installed Norton, after the reboot it would automatically do a complete system scan for viruses. It will run random scans unless you configure it so it won't.

Possibly one that the mother isnt going to nag about when it asks me what to do if a programme is connecting to the internet etc!

I personnally like the fact that it asks for your permission for a program to access the internet. Just simply click "Permit Always" for programs you recognize and use often. Then when an unknown program is trying to get access, just click "Block Always". You will only have to do this once for each program. Not too hard :)

Sebouh

Well it gets a little hard when it asks you to allow or forbid access to sjdsk.exe, since there are many files in the system that are named like this.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
Norton is currently king of the resource hogs... McAfee runs a close second, an has a worse interface. You could try avast (free), or Nod32 (not free, but better in my opinion). They don't slow things up like Norton does (especially Nod32).

Hellbreather

Seems like the thread title has changed to "Norton slows the comp down" In response to the Norton AV 2005 slowing it down. I would like a system spec to see if your computer is able to run it.
Also NAV and most others will ask what to do with a program as it's a security program it wants to ask you what YOU want to do. rather than set it themselves.
Either that or just do it automatically and it will ask you once then if you set it to "Do not ask me again" and it will do what your previously told it to and one day it will soon open a port and let in a virus :D

Charlie7940

and it will do what your previously told it to and one day it will soon open a port and let in a virus

hmm can you give me an example of a program that would do this? Never heard of that one.

Hellbreather

Yes NAV if you tell a program that it can be always allowed and it can open all ports it needs to. One day if that program becomes exploited the port will be open for viruses of course this is worst outcome situation.
I'm just proving a point that having the option to select what to do is a good thing.

Prometheus

I also found Norton is a resource hog. I would reccomend switching to either Trend Micro or to Kapersky. I have run both of them and they have faster scan times than Norton as well as a small usage footprint.

Hellbreather

NAV doesn't use that much of my CPU but considering I have 1GB (upgraded a couple of days ago) I don't suppose it really matters ;)