Norton Anitvirus is...grrr

Johnny Prefect

Norton antivirus is the most annoying antivirus program known to man. Twice i have had to install it...the first time it crashed my system mulitple times..i couldnt uninstall it..i had to reformat and reboot..and now..the second time...2 minutes after installing it...it expired...and decided to make my system go haywire..now im trying to uninstall it..which is taking forever....:mad: ...the progreess bar has been at 100% for the last 10 minutes....and...grrr...anyone know of a good free antivirus that doesnt/..well...suck?

ceewi1

VIP Member
Try AVG, it's free and effective. I recommend it to everyone who doesn't have a working antivirus program. A lot of people also like Avast, but I haven't used it and have no experience with it.

Hobo_man

If you can, don't use Norton, it's a huge resource hog and it has a low detection rate..same with AVG. I suggest BitDefender or Kaspersky.

cell4me

banned
Hobo_man said:
If you can, don't use Norton, it's a huge resource hog and it has a low detection rate..same with AVG. I suggest BitDefender or Kaspersky.
Explain in detail why you think norton is a resource hog and provide proof! I am running 2005 and it uses 8mb of ram (WHAT A HOG) and it has the highest detection rate there is, the only one that beats it is nod32!

Now norton system works is a whole new story, it takes alot of resourses and causes alot of problems but as far as just their antivirus(2005) goes its one of the best!

Dont get me wrong though BitDefender and Kaspersky are good antiviruses also, I have used them in the past. But I just want to know why everyone slams norton and lables it as a resource hog when in fact it only uses 8mb of ram on my computer running in the background and thats providing a firewall as well.

Last edited:

Dngrsone

VIP Member
I've had problems with Norton's interfering with other programs. Norton's has a tendency to scan when I don't need it to, which leads to the claim of "resource hog." I also don't like their assumption that I'm so freakin' stoopid that when I want to empty my recycle bin, it really means I want the files hidden but still clogging up my hard drive (yes, I know how to turn it off).

AVG updates a heck of a lot more than Norton's ever did for me and I haven't have any interaction issues.

Vipernitrox

ive used norton all my life and all you need to know is how to configure it properly it might take you an half an hour to configure it but it works. im the living proof ive got no router or switch ive just got a modem so my computer is directly connected to the internet so if plug in my network cable without a antivirus program and a firewall ive got at least 10 viruses in the first 5 mins. And in all that time i never had any problem with norton antivirus. i did use norton systemworks for a couple of weeks but thats just a heap of crap it has alot of redundant crap on it like a defragmenter. ive never used any other antivirus program but i just never felt the need for it.