Norton Antivirus (and yes, I read the stickey about antivirus on this site)

Kieth8

Well, I have been using Vipre Antivirus trials, but those have ran out. I don't have the money to buy it, but my parents have Norton 360 (2010 I believe). I don't like Norton, but they won't let me go without an antivirus (and windows defender doesn't count). I tried telling them that since I only visit certain sites, I am pretty safe from viruses and probably don't need antivirus other than windows defender.

I have heard that Norton really slows your computer down, and it seems to slow down all of our other computers, too. It also seems very obtrusive, pop ups in your face how you haven't done a scan in x amount of days, stuff like that. Is it like this?

If I have it disabled (turned off) and only scan with it once a month will it still slow my computer down while it is turned off?

Also, is it really difficult to get completely uninstalled? I heard that it spreads out in your computer so many places, that a normal uninstall doesn't get rid of it completely?

Thanks for any input.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion, you definately need an antivirus program running in conjuction with an antimalware program such as Malwarebytes and/or Superantispyware. An antivirus alone won't catch most of todays infections.

Some say the new Nortons isn't as much of system hog as it used to be. But I still say why buy when you can get free.... AVG, AVIRA, AVAST all have free versions and are all lightweight as far as resources go. You definately need it active all the time, do not disable it from active scanning. All it takes is a drive by of one shotty website and you are infected. AVG recently stopped a bad website from loading on my computer and would not allow me to go there.

Take it for what it's worth and get free and not trust nortons or mcafee versions.

Kieth8

I think I am going to try Kaspersky for a while and superantispyware. I should have enough money by the time the trial for Kaspersky is up to buy it (if I like it). I haven't heard any bad things about it so I assume it will work good.

The new Norton 2010 is getting good reviews and is much less resource intensive than the older versions. As mentioned earlier, there are free anti-virus programs that work just as well, or better than Norton.

To completely remove any Norton products from your computer, download the uninstaller here: Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

Last edited:

Vamilvas

Take Norton 360 over KIS, Nortons really improved over the years.
A good free set up would be CIS or MSE with Threatfire, either one combined with malwarebytes or Super anti spyware as your on-demand scanners.