Norton Internet Security in Vista...help.

enothor

I'm running Vista SP1, and I no longer have NIS installed, but in the security center it says that Norton Internet Security is running or is on, but I've even went through and deleted all registry keys I could link to NIS and it's not in the add/remove programs section, there's no Norton or Symantec files left in the Programs folder, and it's been thoroughly scanned for malware and viruses. I believe it's because of this program I'm getting the ieframe.dll dns error deal, and not being able to browse the net. Any suggestions on how to remove the program or resolve the ieframe problem?

smajer

Hello,

Have you tried the removal tool?

SymNRT.exe ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SymNRT.exe

Download and save SymNRT.exe to your desktop.
Close all programs and double click on the tool.
Follow the on-screen instructions.
Restart the computer if asked.
Then delete the SymNRT.exe tool from your desktop.
Open the Program Files folder on your local disk ( normally C: )
Find and delete the following folders (if present):
Norton AntiVirus
Norton Internet Security
Norton SystemWorks
Norton Personal Firewall

Its possilble this is why you are receiving the .dll error.

enothor

the comp just finished with a system restore, and the net works again, but the NIS is still active, so i'm thinking the windows updates are causing the problem. Do you know how I can keep windows updates from automatically installing when i restart the pc..keep in mind i've already disabled them to do so, but the ones the comp has already downloaded try to install anyways and it messes the net up again?