Norton Internet Security on Win Media Center - Problems

Terminator14

I'm trying to install Norton Internet Security 2005 on a Gateway computer with a Windows XP Media Center OS. It installs okay, but it does not open the program. The system tray icon appears and when you right click it, you can select any option, like enable/disable antivirus/firewall, or the options for AntiVirus/Internet Security/AntiSpam (all 3 come in the Norton Internet Security Package) but the option to open Norton Internet Security does nothing. I try the link from the start menu and still nothing. I already put in the serial for it when it was installing and asked me for it, but I still have not activated it, and I need the menu to activate the program and configure it as well.

This is especially strange since the computer came with a preinstalled limited version of Norton Internet Security 2005 that was working just fine before I uninstalled it.

What could be the problem?

SirKenin

banned
I don't know, but do yourself a favor and throw it in the garbage. That program is utterly useless garbage.

Try working with AVG/Avast/Ewido/Defender/Zone Alarm. You'll thank me later.. :)

Terminator14

I'm all for trying new things and I know NIS or any Symantec products for that matter are generally not favored by many people but this is not my computer that I am setting up. I basically have about a day to set up everything on this guy's computer to make it run smoothly after it crashed and lost everything. He gave me a NIS 2005 disk that he bought - not the 90 day trial that comes with most systems. If that's what he is used to and what he wants, I'm not going to stop him. Any idea why it might not be working?

Terminator14

By the way for those of you interested, these are the top AntiViruses available:

The Shield Pro - 5.5
Bit Defender - 5.0
EZ Antivirus - 4.5
Kaspersky - 4.5
Norton Antivirus - 4.5
McAfee Virusscan - 4.0
Panda - 3.5
Trend - 3.5

Rated out of six. You can find their reviews here

cell4me

banned
Uninstall it...and uninstall the old version you might have to use the symantec removal tool. After you have all versions uninstalled clean your registry with regcleaner and then reinstall new version, you are having a conflict between the old version and the newest version thats all.

SirKenin

banned
By the way for those of you interested, these are the top AntiViruses available:

The Shield Pro - 5.5
Bit Defender - 5.0
EZ Antivirus - 4.5
Kaspersky - 4.5
Norton Antivirus - 4.5
McAfee Virusscan - 4.0
Panda - 3.5
Trend - 3.5

Rated out of six. You can find their reviews here

That review is crap.

Terminator14

Uninstall it...and uninstall the old version you might have to use the symantec removal tool. After you have all versions uninstalled clean your registry with regcleaner and then reinstall new version, you are having a conflict between the old version and the newest version thats all.

Thanks, I try that.

SirKenin

banned
Really? I thought it was good. What do you consider a good review?

One that is honest would be a good start. Norton and Mcaffee should be at the bottom of the list, due to shitty heuristics, being a resource hog, etc. Panda smokes both of them. So it's a crappy review.

Terminator14

One that is honest would be a good start. Norton and Mcaffee should be at the bottom of the list, due to shitty heuristics, being a resource hog, etc. Panda smokes both of them. So it's a crappy review.

Do you know of any sites with good reviews? Not only AntiVirus programs but maybe a list of properly rated AntiSpyware programs and other utilities that may be useful?

Terminator14

Uninstalled it using the symantec removal tool. Ran a registry cleaner. Restarted the computer. Installed NIS again. Still the same problem. Anything else it could be other than a conflict with the previous version? Even if there is still a file or two left from the previous version, I don't know if that would be enough to couse a major conflict like this, so I'm thinking it might be something else. Any Ideas?

cell4me

banned
Do you know of any sites with good reviews? Not only AntiVirus programs but maybe a list of properly rated AntiSpyware programs and other utilities that may be useful?
This company is non bias and they dont take kick backs to say one is better than the other!
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2006_08.php

Select comparitives and then online results for august 2006!

Avg did not score as good as norton for all you avg fanboys...lol!
In fact it scored realy bad for Script viruses/malware 42.34%...avast scored better 85.07% so maybe all ya free antivirus users out there might want to think about switching?

Last edited:

cell4me

banned
Uninstalled it using the symantec removal tool. Ran a registry cleaner. Restarted the computer. Installed NIS again. Still the same problem. Anything else it could be other than a conflict with the previous version? Even if there is still a file or two left from the previous version, I don't know if that would be enough to couse a major conflict like this, so I'm thinking it might be something else. Any Ideas?
The only other thing I can think of is you are trying to install a pre-release version prior to SP2 that might be causing some kind of issue? I dont have any other advice for you. Do you speak Uganda? If you do you could try to call symantec customer service...ROFLMAO! :D

Terminator14

This company is non bias and they dont take kick backs to say one is better than the other!
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2006_08.php

Select comparitives and then online results for august 2006!

Avg did not score as good as norton for all you avg fanboys...lol!
In fact it scored realy bad for Script viruses/malware 42.34%...avast scored better 85.07% so maybe all ya free antivirus users out there might want to think about switching?

I quickly looked through it and looks like a very interesting site. I'll have to take a closer look when I have more time.

Right now I'm just focusing on getting NIS, as bad as it is, to work on this guy's system, since thats what he asked for, and I only have about a day left to install it, and a bunch of other programs (Like office, Win-Rar, Nero...). I'm gonna have to think of something quick.

cell4me said:
you could try to call symantec customer service

I hope it doesn't come to that. LOL

edifier

No setups are the same and sometimes programs will conflict and just can't be installed. 'Panda' and 'BitDefender' absolutely will not run on my system. 'Crash Time'.lol!.