norton

jessiejames

please will someone explain to me, how you feel about norton.
i was thinking of upgrading to norton 2008, but what i have been hearing, im not so sure anymore.

PC eye

banned
Be sure not to be sure! Norton is a known "resource hungry" intrusive retail program with low reviews! You can try out a few free antivirus programs that will go a lot further like Grisoft's AVG free edition. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-spyware-free

For a retail product the favored here would be Trend Micro's PC Cillin or the latest version seeing adware and spyware protection as well additional tools rolled in with the main antivirus program. That even offers interner securitty too. http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products/index.html

Homenet

Norton really is the spawn of all evil. Its a truly horrible program and as far as im concerned should be avoided at all possible costs. There are many alternatives out there, free ones also

PohTayToez

There are many free programs out there that provide better security and use up 1/10th of the resources as Norton. I agree with PC Eye... AVG Free is the way to go. Been using it for a couple of years and I don't think I've had a single serious malware problem since.

jimmymac

VIP Member
Just to elaborate on what people are saying here, many are commenting on it being resource hungry etc is its biggest downfall. However there is a little more to it than that. Possibly one of nortons biggest issues is that its detection rate is actually fairly poor.

In a recent review i saw on a range of antivirus Norton managed a pathetic detection rate of some 68%!

The top award went to Kaspersky with 98%, its without doubt one of if not the best anti virus around but it does cost. If looking for a free one then AVG as mentioned here is quite good as a free one but that got a detection rate of 83% so its still not at the higest end of quality.

Avira got the best rating of the free virus software with 92% detection but comment were made that it tends to nag you a bit to upgrade to the premium package

PC eye

banned
The first rule of thought for the most is no one program will ever cover 100% of the "bugs" out there. Along with AVG here I also add layers of protection with other free programs to see how well those will do.

For testing Spyware Terminator I can now give that one a clean bill of health! Upon intentionally allowing active x controls to install upon receiving a spam mail ST sprung to life to allow or block what was to follow. Sure enough not only the Smiley Central toolbar went when allowed but a backdoor trojan and a few other nasties!

Upon seeing that the ST scan found some 338 items to remove. But allowing the backdoor bug in and then cleaning off the crud with the scan saw IE 7 made toast! A system restore point was then needed. ST had done it's job however! http://www.spywareterminator.com/

That one does far more then Ad-Aware. Kaspersky is definitely a good product along with a few other retail products. I can't AVG lacks the ability to detect things. Even with AVG totally disabled in the msconfig utiltiy's startup and services groups I've seen it come to life out of nowhere upon reaching an unknown site during a search where a trohan was instantly copied to the drive. AVG sprung up and pointed out the file name and location.

Norton and McAfee are usually found on the foobar list regardless while even the free versions by Grisoft and others seem always preferred by most. The key however is seeing more then one type of program put inplace to add the actual "layers of protection" over counting on just one entirely.