Not getting the speed I'm paying for

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I assume you are getting high 30 megabit, If you are getting high 30 megabytes, that's pretty fast. Either it's congested in your area (possible) or you are actually on docsis2, or maybe your modem is only using a single channel.

The tech ran a speed test and said it was OK? Did you see the results?

beers

Staff member
What specific test? It's difficult to guess since there are a bunch of variables and not really much information has been provided. As above a lot of people mix up bits and bytes. If you're downloading files at like 30 MB/sec then it's functioning as expected.

If you had another NIC or PC to test against you could rule out the physical NIC assuming the tester was a separate physical device than your PC.

Darren

Staff member
The tech had a seperate device. The test was on a site called "DSL" something. I can't remember
Very high likelihood he measured it in megaBITS, which is the speed you'll see advertised for internet services. The speed frequently reported by applications for downloading stuff will read in megaBYTES. MB = Megabyte = 8 Megabits
Mb = Megabit

Go to https://www.speedtest.net/ and post your results.

Darren

Staff member
Try a new cable.

Do you have a smartphone/tablet you can hook into the WiFi? If so do that and run a speedtest (above website has an app for it).