Not sure if i have enough power... help?

benihana99

Okay, i have a Compaq Presario S5314ST with AMD Athlon XP 2600+ processor, stock CD burner, stock motherboard, 3/4 gig of RAM, nVidia GeForce 7300GT gfx card, stock HDD (32gb) and two additional 32 gb processor. I also have the stock PSU which has an output of 250W and is connected to the mobo, cpu, and 5 devices on 4-pin molex connectors (the gfx card, cd drive, and 3 hdds). I am getting repeated blackouts in games. I think this is because of the PSU not being good enough.

Will a 420W PSU do the job or is it something else? I am building a completely new computer with a RaidMax Scorpio case with built in 420W PSU. The new computer will have one SATA 160gb HDD and two of the afore-mention 32gb HDDs, a 24-pin Gigabyte mobo w/ athlon 64 x2 (2.6gHz), a nvidia geforce 8600 (pci-e), 2 and a LiteOn dvd burner. will this PSU suffice or should i choose a different case and PSU?

benihana99

thanks, but im not really able to jack up the price a lot more... it would just make buying my computer and running these games that much farther away. i suppose i could skimp on the fancy LED case... but i really do like it... perhaps you could recommend a cheaper PSU and a similar case?