Not sure what that noise is!

frogblossum

Lately when I turn my computer on it makes a loud "whirring" noise. Sometimes if I hit the side of it, it quits making the noise.:eek: Other than the noise, it's running fine. I bought the computer about 4 years ago from a guy who builds them. I have no idea what's inside of it. I do have all my documents and pictures backed up on exteral drives.

My questions:

What could be the noise?

If it's the hard drive, can I easily replace it?

If so, do I have to buy a new operating system to get the the new hard drive running?

Or can I transfer files to the new hardrive?

If I buy more RAM, does it have to be a specific kind or size?

This may be over my head but I'm willing to give it a shot rather than spending a whole lot on a new commerical brand computer.

Any help is appreciated...

Ellen

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Take the side panel off the case and listen to where the noise is coming from, its possible that its just something loose and its vibrating. Let us know what you find.

2048Megabytes

Do you know how to take the side panel off on a desktop computer? I am guessing it could be any number of fans inside your system but it could be something else. When your computer is running take the side panel off too see if you can tell where the sound is coming from. I would not touch anything inside the computer when it is running.

At the below link are two steps to how to take the side panel of a computer off.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/insidethepc/ss/opencase_4.htm

tasha1133

are you getting read/write error messages?
once you're sure that its coming from the hard drive, that noise is one sign that your harddrive is dying.. i advise you make a back-up of your files as soon as possible..

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
It sounds like either a dying fan or something is hitting the blades. Open up the computer and stop each fan with your hand and see if the noise goes away.

frogblossum

Found it!

It is a fan making the noise. And I have a Tv card that I didn't know I had!

So I think I need more ram and I know more memory. Do I just take the type I already have, go to a computer store and buy more?

I've put ram cards in before but not internal memory.

Ellen

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ram and memory is the same thing. Yes, just take your existing and tell them you need more. You do however need to know what motherboard or computer system you have so they know how much memory your computer can handle.

dznutz

agreed with everybody. could be a loose wire hitting a fan (commonly heard in my case) or loose bolts. when you have it open might as well use compressed air to take out the dust and stuff.

use the compressed air only when your pc is off