not sure where this should go..

ninjadust

recently my computers been freezing briefly and sometimes shuts itself down, the other day i tried to install world of warcraft (which ive done so befor without any problems) and this came up like 10% of the way through the first disk

"An error was detected while verifying the contents of the file "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Data\common.MPQ". There may be a problem with your system, or with the drive at C:\. You can attempt to install again. If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support."

i tried reinstalling but the same thing happend again, any ideas whats wrong :confused:

ninjadust

sigh got up to disk 3 and the same thing appeared, il try to defrag now but what do you mean by disk check? like check for scratches? cuz theyr all in perfect condition

onesandzeros

sigh got up to disk 3 and the same thing appeared, il try to defrag now but what do you mean by disk check? like check for scratches? cuz theyr all in perfect condition

go to dos prompt

c:chkdsk/f

or you can also go to the "tools" tab ,just right click then properties,and check for errors

crap cleaner also helps

ninjadust

go to dos prompt

c:chkdsk/f

or you can also go to the "tools" tab ,just right click then properties,and check for errors

crap cleaner also helps

ok i tried doing a disk check but part way through it stopped and said error or something.. i also defragged my computer and tried to install WoW again and it stopped at the 3rd disk again saying the same message as befor

on another point sometimes when i turn on my computer itl say theres something wrong with it i cant remember what it says exactly and i have to choose "start windows normally" for it to go and even then sometimes it will just go back to that screen and a couple of times ive started up my computer i think its showing windows 98 or something cuz the start bar and stuff look oldschool so i restart and it goes back to normal

Dean11

i had this exact problem when installing wow. i fixed it by clearing the temporary files. goto folder options and check "show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "hide protected operating system files" then goto c:/documents and settings/user/local settings/temp, once your there click edit-select all and delete all the files

after that make sure all program files of it are gone and reinstall it. it might also be worth a try to install it in safe mode

ninjadust

i had this exact problem when installing wow. i fixed it by clearing the temporary files. goto folder options and check "show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "hide protected operating system files" then goto c:/documents and settings/user/local settings/temp, once your there click edit-select all and delete all the files

after that make sure all program files of it are gone and reinstall it. it might also be worth a try to install it in safe mode

alright cool i did that il try installing now, il let u guys know how it goes

ninjadust

I suspect a bad HDD, if you have another HDD with an OS,make that HDD the primary disk and make the original HDD the slave or 2ndary,then checkdisk it,and defrag again

sorry but i dont have the slightest clue how to do that lol could u explain again for a noob? :p

onesandzeros

sorry but i dont have the slightest clue how to do that lol could u explain again for a noob? :p

Well Ist of all what HDD do you have? SATA?IDE?

ok heres a quick question,,,do you have another spare empty HDD which can be reformated? if yes...remove your old hdd put the spare hdd and install a new OS to that hdd ....after done connect your old make it slave (if IDE) or secondary(is SATA) then do a checkdsk

Im not sure if it will work,but trying wont hurt

ninjadust

Well Ist of all what HDD do you have? SATA?IDE?

ok heres a quick question,,,do you have another spare empty HDD which can be reformated? if yes...remove your old hdd put the spare hdd and install a new OS to that hdd ....after done connect your old make it slave (if IDE) or secondary(is SATA) then do a checkdsk

Im not sure if it will work,but trying wont hurt

that didnt really help sigh nvm i just wont play world of warcraft siigh