Nothing showing up on monitor

dell

Hi, I bought a new game pc off ebay about a week ago. I also had to buy a DVI adapter becuase the ports on the back are DVI and not VGA, but I have a VGA cable going into my monitor. First thing I did was plug the VGA male end into the DVI adapter, then the DIV adapter into the Port on the back of the computer as advised by the seller. The PC powers on just fine, but im not getting any data on the monitor, on the monitor the power light stays amber. Also not sure if this has anything to do with the problem, but there is a blue light that keeps flashing on the pc just right of the on/off button.

Id rather not return it, id rather try to find a solution. Please advise. Thank you again.

Punk

Staff member
Hi, I bought a new game pc off ebay about a week ago. I also had to buy a DVI adapter becuase the ports on the back are DVI and not VGA, but I have a VGA cable going into my monitor. First thing I did was plug the VGA male end into the DVI adapter, then the DIV adapter into the Port on the back of the computer as advised by the seller. The PC powers on just fine, but im not getting any data on the monitor, on the monitor the power light stays amber. Also not sure if this has anything to do with the problem, but there is a blue light that keeps flashing on the pc just right of the on/off button.

Id rather not return it, id rather try to find a solution. Please advise. Thank you again.

If there is a video card, make sure you plug your DVI adapter into the GPU slot and not the MB slot. I had the same thing on my older desktop.

dell

Yes, they told me what slot to plug into (graphic card)

its the one of the two black horizontal slots. NOT the blue or white slots that run vertical. pretty sure its in the correct slot.

Last edited:

dell

Have you tried the other "black horizontal slot"?

Yes, iv also tried on another monitor with the same problem, so cant be the monitor or the cables. Im thinking that maybe while in transit something was damaged as the pc was really not packaged that well. There was not even any bubble wrap.

_Pete_

What about sound? Do you know if the computer has booted up? Does it have on board graphics and if so does that work. It could be that the RAM has come loose. First thing is take the side off and unplug the RAM modules and plug them back in making sure they are properly seated. that is a common fault with computers that wont come on after transit.

Just reread your post and perhaps not RAM although it doesn't hurt to make sure. It doesn't neccessarily follow that a DVI adaptor on to a VGA cable will work. Some VGA cables do not have all the pins connected and if that is the case then an adaptor will not connect.

dell

What about sound? Do you know if the computer has booted up? Does it have on board graphics and if so does that work. It could be that the RAM has come loose. First thing is take the side off and unplug the RAM modules and plug them back in making sure they are properly seated. that is a common fault with computers that wont come on after transit.

Just reread your post and perhaps not RAM although it doesn't hurt to make sure. It doesn't neccessarily follow that a DVI adaptor on to a VGA cable will work. Some VGA cables do not have all the pins connected and if that is the case then an adaptor will not connect.
I will try to reset the RAM. Im thinking that ill need a whole new DVI cable, not just adapter, but what about my monitor, will I have to buy a new monitor that has a DVI slot in the back too?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
m thinking that maybe while in transit something was damaged as the pc was really not packaged that well. There was not even any bubble wrap.

File a claim. Without bubble wrap or some kind of material that will restrict movement, the product won't arrive in one piece.

_Pete_

I don't know about the monitor. i have used a monitor with a VGA input with a DVI cable and originally I had a similar problem because my VGA lead was a thin one and not all the connectors in the VGA plug/socket were not used. I bought a fully connected VGA lead and everything worked. I'm not sure that I was able to get all the resolutions doing it that way but then I was only using my computer for general tasks so I wasn't worried about resolutions particularly. Problem with doing any of this "online fault finding" is that we can only relate to what has happened to us. We say these things MAY work but there are no guarantees I'm afraid.

Talking about resolutions it might be that your computer is pushing out a resolution that your monitor cannot handle. So, yes, you could well need a new monitor. But changing the lead is the cheapest thing to try. Does your graphics card have a VGA output? The one I had had both outputs and the VGA output did work.

Oh yeah poorly packed items off EBay is quite common and could certainly cause your computer not to work. My assumption, from what you have said, is that the computer does seem to be booting so it does look like a graphics problem. Again make sure all the Ram modules are fully pushed in and all the daughter cards on the motherbaord are fully in their slots.

dell

Reset RAM, still nothing. My guess is if its not something broken then the adapter is not working with my VGA cable and monitor. Im going to opt in to buy a monitor with DVI slot and a DVI cable, they are pretty cheap. I have until the 19th of oct to send the PC back. So im going to try this first, I can always return the monitor if it doesnt help the situation. ill keep you updated, Thanks for all your advise.

dell

Well just to update you all, bought a monitor with dvi slot and the proper cables from the same seller. Just got it today, hooked it up, and guess what, nothing.

My guess is the shipping company threw the computer around like a monkey, and with no bubble wrap something bad happned. so Screw it, ill be returning it and buying a pc from a different seller. But ill be keeping the monitor.

dell

Last update. Something was telling me to look inside the computer one more time, I opened it up and took abit more time just to have a good look around. I notice that the video card was not connected to the motherboard slot all the way, and the seal was broken. So I pushed on the video card in abit and boom, it snapped in place. problem solved.Getting data to the monitor and all is fine now. So if you will buy a pc online, assume that you will have a problem, you might have to open the case and secure a few things back in place.

BBBender

1. check the RAM is seated
2. Try any other RAM
3. still the same problem check the video or graphics card , if any
4. if no graphics card and problem stiil changing it clear your CMOS by removing battery

6. still problem , check the processor heat sink
7. still problem then suggesting checking motherboard and processor