Novice: Is it possible to upgrade a really old computer?

KudrisMiKerker

I have a really old computer:
Compaq Presario SR1620nx
Windows XP,
488 M Ram (what ever the lowest is, :D
AMD sempron processor.

and probably a few more things that i don't understand really.
As many of you know, a lot of things don't work anymore and i'm not able to update to Windows 7. From my internet searches it is my understanding that i shoulb be having at least 2 GB RAM. I have 4 slots inside the computer-box, but some web-sites say that the motherboard specific for this HP compaq presario doesn't support that (trying to just insert 2 x 1 GB RAMs from another computer, didn't work :-(.

I have found crucial.com and it suggests a RAM (4 x 1 GB) that is guaranteed to work for my computer (it even scanned it on-line etc.).

My question:
is this something i should go ahead and purchase (a little bit over $100) and will it indeed work? Or do i need more advanced things done (like upgrade the CPU, software, BIOS etc.?). I have looked into purchasing just a desktop (refurbished ones are not bad, but i figured if i can 'upgrade' my computer around $200, why purchase a new one?)

Any suggestions?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Old socket 939. Dated by 4 socket upgrades. Don't really think its worth updating. Uses old DDR memory. Unless you can find some really cheap. Supports up to 4gb. 1gb each slot of DDR 400.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I wouldn't spend the money on this system. You have an old single core sempron processor. I would put that money toward a better system.

G80FTW

No socket 939 is not worth dumping money into. BUT, I do still miss my old 939 setup.....had the best motherboard on the market for it and ended up frying it :( In terms of gaming performance even in its day it was not that great.

daisymtc

Don't spend $100 upgrade. not worth.
Go to ebay, you will find 1GB DDR RAM for $8.
Probably get 2 x 1GB and leave it with XP.

However, I would agree with others, spend $200 - 300 and get refurb PC

blazin8556

set it aside, run old school games and programs. thats what im trying to do now with an old pentium III machine. my main machine is a quad core.

Twiki

I agree with the guys. That's an old platform and today's software will just overwhelm it and you'll just lose your patience with it.

A Sandy Bridge Celeron will smoke that old system and it's only $50 for the CPU. I've built me one for less that $200 and that included the case, motherboard, PSU and memory as well as this CPU.

Now that the memory prices had jacked up it'll cost over $200 to build the same I did.

Intel G540 Celeron CPU
Asrock H61M-DGS MOTHERBOARD
Gskill 2x2 Dual Flex MEMORY
Corsair CX430 PSU
Rosewill FBM-02 Dual Fan CASE

I used the HDD and the DVD-RW out of my old AM2-3800 system and the Celeron smoked this system.