nTune and My 8600GT

wungoodshu

So I tried to OC my 8600GT with nVidia's nTune program, but when I crank up the clocks and hit apply, I see no real difference. I figured I go back to nTune and see if it actually applied... of course it didn't. >.> So I tried creating 2 profiles, a default and an OC profile, but I get an error saying that it could not load the profile, and no matter how many profiles I make, they never work. What's going on? :confused::confused::confused:

blurblock

Hey . I got the same issue as you . I got a 8800GTS 320MB. i Set it and hit apply .

Before reboot . nTune will show the setting i had apply . While nMonitor will show the default settting . ( Changes not been made ? )

After reboot . Everything get back to default .

I'm running a Vista Home Premium . Driver or software conflicts ?

Hanamichi

Hey . I got the same issue as you . I got a 8800GTS 320MB. i Set it and hit apply .

Before reboot . nTune will show the setting i had apply . While nMonitor will show the default settting . ( Changes not been made ? )

After reboot . Everything get back to default .

I'm running a Vista Home Premium . Driver or software conflicts ?

Well in your case I think you haven't saved your profile after you have overclocked.And if you have saved you have not loaded it after rebooting.I also overclocked my 8600Gt to 715/910 it's stable but I have to reload the profile everytime I reboot my PC.So I have deciced to overclock again with rivatune.

wungoodshu

Well in your case I think you haven't saved your profile after you have overclocked.And if you have saved you have not loaded it after rebooting.I also overclocked my 8600Gt to 715/910 it's stable but I have to reload the profile everytime I reboot my PC.So I have deciced to overclock again with rivatune.

So is that basically to say that I should OC with Rivatuner instead of nTune?

Zangetsu

A bit off topic:p:

What kinda 8600GT do you have?

blurblock

i just try out RivaTuner and it works . wungoodshu maybe u should also try it . the nTune is abit hard to use .

wungoodshu

Aye, I used Riva and it works nicely. I OC to 600/800 from stock 540/700. Is this good? nVidia Monitor puts 800 at yellow (red means unstable, I guess?) so I'm not sure if I want to go higher...

MixedLogik

I have the MSI OC Geforce 8600GT GDDR3 256mb Mem Clock 1600mhz? I haven't got it yet, it is should arrive on wednesday from 3 day shipping. In suggestions on the card beforce I overclock it?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
ATITool. I HIGHLY recommend it. It even has an program that test itself for artifacts! It will record the FPS, and keep on testing for artifacts... over and over again.

wungoodshu

I used ATITool just a minute ago, and it's nice, and I brought it up using that (600/800 like before) but it worries me because I'll be idling at 60 (my case is garbage... new one coming soon) then when I scan for artifacts, it's stable, and none are found, but the GPU temp (shown by nVidia Monitor) suddenly rises rapidly to 73+. Aborting the scan brings back down to it's normal temp, but should it be shooting up this much?

Hanamichi

I used ATITool just a minute ago, and it's nice, and I brought it up using that (600/800 like before) but it worries me because I'll be idling at 60 (my case is garbage... new one coming soon) then when I scan for artifacts, it's stable, and none are found, but the GPU temp (shown by nVidia Monitor) suddenly rises rapidly to 73+. Aborting the scan brings back down to it's normal temp, but should it be shooting up this much?

Just that much?You won't see any difference in performance in gaming for just that much OC.OC means pushing the hardware upto limit so try push it more and you certainly will get good performance.I have OCed and now I can see the difference games are much smoother than before.And of course my RAM is bottlenecking it but when I upgrade the RAM also I am sure that the games will be much more smooth.

wungoodshu

Just that much?You won't see any difference in performance in gaming for just that much OC.OC means pushing the hardware upto limit so try push it more and you certainly will get good performance.I have OCed and now I can see the difference games are much smoother than before.And of course my RAM is bottlenecking it but when I upgrade the RAM also I am sure that the games will be much more smooth.

Yeah, but I decided to take it slow to start, and before I got very high it turned yellow (a warning I suppose?) and the GPU gets SO hot when scanning for artifacts that it kind of scares me. Should I go farther or just let it stay?

wungoodshu

Update: I tried 600/900 and it's not stable in the least bit. Is it better to OC the core or the memory? Because 675/800 seems nice and stable. What should I do from here? (Stock is 540/700 btw)

Hanamichi

Update: I tried 600/900 and it's not stable in the least bit. Is it better to OC the core or the memory? Because 675/800 seems nice and stable. What should I do from here? (Stock is 540/700 btw)

Ok then your memory is around it's limit so you should now OC you core speed.

wungoodshu

Sitting at 650/800 right now. All seems nice and stable and I'm definitely seeing an improvement. Would anything cause bottlenecking here?

8600 GT 256mb
P4 2.80 ghz
2.5 gb DDR2
80 gb HD

I think the CPU could be dragging the whole system down, but I'm upgrading to a Q6600 in a month or 2. Should I even bother OCing before I get it if the CPU is gonna pull it all down?

Hanamichi

Yes in your system CPU is the bottleneck.Why don't you try OC your CPU also.It won't hurt you much even if you go wrong as you are upgrading your CPU.

wungoodshu

Yes in your system CPU is the bottleneck.Why don't you try OC your CPU also.It won't hurt you much even if you go wrong as you are upgrading your CPU.

Yes, but the idea was that after I get this new PC built, to hand off the old one to my mom, so if I were to OC it, I'd have to be careful not to fry the CPU. Plus the fact that I have no clue how to OC a CPU...

Hanamichi

Well I am also noob at CPU OCing.The only things I know about CPU OCing is there are two methods of OCing it.
1 by raising the multiplier
2 by raising the FSB

First one is considered to be the easiest way.It would be better if you post a thread of it in CPU category of this forum.