Nvidia assists ATI with GPU Physx accel.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Well sort of.

http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/content-view-38283-135.html

Nvidia is assisting the third party dev team over at www.ngohq.com with creating a Radeon compatible physics library through Nvidia's own CUDA SDK. Problem is ATI itself (or owner AMD) doesn't seem interested in the project, and have refused to respond or offer access to , hope to be supported, 48xx class GPUs.

It might be that ATI has planned in a different direction, but I still call douchery. Upside is ATI owners still might soon get a working physics library operable on Their GPU hardware.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Problem is ATI itself (or owner AMD) doesn't seem interested in the project, and have refused to respond or offer access to , hope to be supported, 48xx class GPUs.

Looks to me like AMD fanboyism. :p

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Since nVidia is AMD's primary competitor in the GPU market, they're obviously suspicious as to why nVidia would like to "help" them out. From a business perspective, I respect the fact that AMD wants nothing to do with the "collaboration." However, I'm all for the two working together to give consumers some added features in their graphics hardware. Although unlikely, like you said, it's possible AMD has their own variation of physics acceleration up their sleeves. If they did, though, we'd probably know about it by now.

why would ati want physx? they have havok and i think they should stick with it (half life 2/Tf2/portal/valve games use havok so that's a bit of fan boy racism from me :p steam/valve ftw) so nvidia can go play ball with there physx system and use it on all the games i dont even like

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Although unlikely, like you said, it's possible AMD has their own variation of physics acceleration up their sleeves. If they did, though, we'd probably know about it by now.

I was more thinking ATI might've had their eyes centered on Havok, like headcrab mentions, which is owned by Intel. In terms of collaboration, they're both unappealing I would guess, But not only is Intel more threatening to the Duo (IMO), the participation required/wanted from Ngohq is minimal and would, if done correctly, net ATI a firm backing with both Phy. libraries. I see this as good for the consumer and ultimately good for ATI, they don't even have to officially support the Physx project, it's a community jury rig that costs ATI little in the terms of devotion or resources.

Plus, to the best of my knowledge, Amtdi is using Havok primarily on the CPU, Having a dedicated PPU available on the GPU sounds even better (though it might not be neccesary, might even be buggy trying to get them to work in tandem)

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Oh come on, I apologized for that! :eek:

You're gonna catch me in a real big hole sooner or later, you better not miss your chance to bury me in it! I need some objectivity man! :rolleyes:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure about this physics thing in the first place. Game developers don't even produce code for the hardware. Is that right? Seems to me like AMD simply doesn't want nVidia to encroach, or learn anything about their technology. You know, protecting themselves.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Yeah, the SMP code is flailing next to the hardware. You might be right, but Nvidia could rightly reverse engineer AMDs arch. in several other ways, they don't need to be in cahoots.

Eh, it's too hard putting sense to AMDs agenda. The guys over at ngohq probably didn't start this project thinking amd would ignore it, they didn't know this,

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8372&Itemid=1

a piece of info released today that confirms AMD is melding havoc into their GPU hw, to an extant. Thus the reason AMD doesn't support physx, the physics war has started.