Nvidia card

beers

Staff member
Not generally. A few select laptops/boards had socketed graphics that you could interchange but most of them are integrated onto the board.

AnimeTech

Thanks, Travis. But is it possible to upgrade a really old windows computer with one and a SSD card then? Problem is I have a uni assignment and am quite stressed

beers

Staff member
Thanks, Travis. But is it possible to upgrade a really old windows computer with one and a SSD card then? Problem is I have a uni assignment and am quite stressed
How old is really old? SATA has been out for over a decade.

AnimeTech

5-10 years old I guess? Where's the SATA interface... how do i figure this stuff out... if I'm not great with hardware do you recommend taking it to a shop to upgrade so tey'll do it or is it easy to learn ? I do computer science but i'm more of a code monkey . Lol

Darren

Staff member
I'd just take it to a shop and tell them what you want out of it and see what they suggest. An SSD and a RAM upgrade can breathe life into an old machine.

AnimeTech

I'd just take it to a shop and tell them what you want out of it and see what they suggest. An SSD and a RAM upgrade can breathe life into an old machine.

Oh no no, I'm going nuts, my bad. It's a windows desktop i need to upgrade to SSD but i could with an old windows laptop... its an old acer and the fan's really loud and that annoyance is the problem. I read reports about okd acer laptops having a loud fan constantly on all th time when uneeded (laptop wasn't even that hot). I dont know if there's an alternative to fan control software as i feel that that is potentially dangerous in the event the laptop overheats?

Darren

Staff member
Shops can handle desktops too...?

Fan issues are basically irrelevant to brand, likely a sensor gone funky or needs thermal pasting.

beers

Staff member
Usually you can re-paste on an old board. It's pretty involved, usually you have to open the laptop and in the Acer case tear it open all the way down to the board, remove the heatsink from the CPU, clean off what's under there on the CPU and apply new thermal paste. I got a cheap Acer 5742 that I did this with, if the fan is failing you can get a cheap one from China off of ebay for a couple bucks shipped.