Nvidia GTS 260 or ATi Radeon HD 5770?

frown888

If i get the 5770, will i be able to play games like, arma 2, gta IV, Cod, flight simulator x, etc on the highest settings and get smooth gameplay?
My pc specs are:
-Intel core 2 duo(2.93GHZ)
-4GB DDR2 RAM
-Windows 7 professional 64-bit

I dont want to have to pay over $250 for a 1GB card, but i want one that can handle games on high or max settings without any lagging. I have 512mb Radeon HD4350 at the moment and graphics intense games like farcry 2 etc, it is playable but not smooth with quite a bit of lag, and when i play flight simulator x, when smoke appears, the fps slow right down until the smoke has gone away. Will this card fix these problems?
Thanks

linkin

VIP Member
Depends on the resolution... gta4 and flight sim x are very CPU intensive... my 4ghz dualcore is still a bottleneck.

Aastii

VIP Member
If i get the 5770, will i be able to play games like, arma 2, gta IV, Cod, flight simulator x, etc on the highest settings and get smooth gameplay?
My pc specs are:
-Intel core 2 duo(2.93GHZ)
-4GB DDR2 RAM
-Windows 7 professional 64-bit

I dont want to have to pay over $250 for a 1GB card, but i want one that can handle games on high or max settings without any lagging. I have 512mb Radeon HD4350 at the moment and graphics intense games like farcry 2 etc, it is playable but not smooth with quite a bit of lag, and when i play flight simulator x, when smoke appears, the fps slow right down until the smoke has gone away. Will this card fix these problems?
Thanks

video memory means nothing unless you are at high resolutions. A video card will help a hell of alot, especially if you upgrade from a 4350 to 5770, the performance increase will be huge. However, you will be bottlenecked by your CPU, a dual core, especially a sub 3GHz dual core, will not be quick enough to keep up with the card, so you won't get the full performance. Also, games like FSX rely heavily on your porcessor, so even with a better graphics card, your CPU will still be holding you back

Intel_man

VIP Member
Depends on the resolution... gta4 and flight sim x are very CPU intensive... my 4ghz dualcore is still a bottleneck.
My i7 lags on FSX when everything is maxed out (including all the vehicles, boats and commercial airliner traffic) let alone your wolfdale.

frown888

Thanks for your replies, but will it make the gameplay smoother so there is hardly any lag, because at the moment, i play games like ship simulator and farcry, and it is not smooth at all, probably like 10-15fps? Will bumping up from a 512mb to a 1gb make a drastic difference? I can always overclock my cpu to make it over 3GHz right???
Thanks

87dtna

gtx260 are more powerfull

Yes slightly stronger....but a 5770 comsumes less power, makes less heat, only takes one 6 pin power connector, and is a much smaller card for tight cases. Oh and of course has DX11. There's more pro's to the 5770 over a gtx260 at this point in time. I would personally still use a gtx260 because I'm not much of an ATI fan, but the 5770 is a decent card for it's size and energy consumption.

Okedokey

Please post full system specs including PSU, mobo, resolution you play games at etc.

It will depend on these things, as according to Tom's hardware gpu 2010 charts, the sum of all tests FPS, the 5770 is actually quicker, primarily due to AA ability of ATi cards. I would suggest the 5770 is a better buy however.

87dtna

Tom's hardware chart is a joke.

My gtx260 could handle AA and AF better than my 5770 could. I was shocked at the FPS drop with 8x/8x on the 5770. 16x/16x was not even playable with 1080p.