Nvidia GTS 260 or ATi Radeon HD 5770?

linkin

VIP Member
I like nVidia and ATI completely equally. Same with AMD and Intel. The only good thing that comes from "fanboy fights" are lower prices. :)

Have had my GTX 260 for a while now; no lock-up, lags, or anything like that. The drivers are perfected on the GTX 260 because they are a year old.

Good point, but it also raises another point: Ati drivers have always got better, and haven't always been optimimum at launch. Some people rumour that Ati nerf their drivers until nvidia releases their next series of cards.

Can't say that it's true, but it does make sense :eek:

ultipig

Good point, but it also raises another point: Ati drivers have always got better, and haven't always been optimimum at launch. Some people rumour that Ati nerf their drivers until nvidia releases their next series of cards.

Can't say that it's true, but it does make sense :eek:

I wouldn't blame ati or complain if that were true. It makes sense, like you said.

*whistle* Waiting for Fermi! :D

87dtna

The CCC 9.12 drivers for windows 7 are WAY better than last time I used ATI which was 9.9.

That said, I would still go for the gtx260. DX11 is no big deal, and won't be for atleast a year. By then, 5870's will be cheaper than gtx260's are now.

Nvidia FTW!

linkin

VIP Member
The CCC 9.12 drivers for windows 7 are WAY better than last time I used ATI which was 9.9.

That said, I would still go for the gtx260. DX11 is no big deal, and won't be for atleast a year. By then, 5870's will be cheaper than gtx260's are now.

Nvidia FTW!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support

3 Games already released/updates with Dx11 support... The rest are said to be launched in march or in Q1 2010, or sometime in 2010.

:rolleyes:

Jamin43

banned
Exactly, and as I was just explaining you probably cannot even tell the difference in DX10 and DX11.

From the benchmarks - you can tell a difference if you are looking. Not sure that it's worth losing performance - if that's your main goal. I find the 3 monitor setup interesting on one video card. I've got a 3rd monitor I could dig up and hook onto my PC.

For me - it would be a tough choice - but I can see pure gamers going for the 260. I'm satisfied with my 9800 GTX+ right now - so I can wait til the price of 5850's get cut in half before I have to buy again :D

linkin

VIP Member
Actually most of thsoe DX11 games use DX9.0c and DX11 only. DiRT 2 for example. You said Dx11 won't be used for another year. it's already being used. you lose :p

newgunner

As a new voice to this topic that isn't harping on ati vs nvidia i would choose the 5770 because of it's price and dx11 support and eyefinity.

It's not hard to imagine people having 3 monitors, well non LCD at least. In fact where i live the twin cities of MN, people are basically giving away those old CRT monitors for free these days. With that scenario i wouldn't mind running 2 17" CRT monitors with my 19" LCD.

NCspecV81

banned
The 260GTX out preforms the 5770.

o.0... given certain restrictions where bit rate may not become bottlenecked I really don't think the gtx260 stands a chance. The 128bit 5770 does end up eating itself alive once you go high res or high filtering.

Last edited:

ultipig

Actually most of thsoe DX11 games use DX9.0c and DX11 only. DiRT 2 for example. You said Dx11 won't be used for another year. it's already being used. you lose :p

It disappoints me to see that games will be only dx9 and 11. I wish Windows XP would be thrown out (despite the fact that that's what I'm running right now) to make room for the newer operating systems. Unfortunately too many systems now-a-days are using XP.

One with a dx10 supported card would be forced to use dx9 when the game was really designed to be run utilizing dx11. :(

shamimmirza

Thanks everyone for posting useful information.
So, finally I have decided to buy HD 5770. Could you please suggest me which one would be better.
XFX or Sapphire ???

Regards,
:)

mx344

o.0... given certain restrictions where bit rate may not become bottlenecked I really don't think the gtx260 stands a chance. The 128bit 5770 does end up eating itself alive once you go high res or high filtering.

Are you kidding me dude, th 260 is quite a bit better than the 5770. Look it up.

linkin

VIP Member
Only get sapphire if you're getting the Vapor-X edition, otherwise the XFX is better because of the warranty/support.

87dtna

5770 fits well in my price range and also DX 11 support attracts me :good:

Please tell the difference between XFX and Sapphire?

They are about the same price :confused: Gtx260 is like $20 more maybe. Find a used one anyway, they go for like $150 or so.

DX11 is a gimmick, just like the 32nm I5 600 series being the same price as the 750 when the 750 will out perform it in just about everything. But people will buy the 600 series because of 32nm...gimmick.

EVGA is the best brand for Nvidia hands down no question about it, and sapphire is one of the best ATI.