nVidia - what is the difference between GS and GT

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Of course. Following the Nvidia naming scheme. In general you can expect 30-40% (this is a guess) performance difference between the two, give or take some depending on specific model.

ceewi1

VIP Member
In the particular case of the 7800, the GT is PCI-E only while the GS is AGP only. As everyone's said, the 7800GT is the better performing card.

Zangetsu

Hi,

You'll definitely notice the difference! I have tested my 6800GT vs a 6800GS and mine owned easily.

Zangetsu

jonny-chip

Noticed this alot now, people seem to babble on and dont answer the question the thread starter asked:(.
Anyway gt will always be better and nivida will keep it that way.

apj101

VIP Member
Noticed this alot now, people seem to babble on and dont answer the question the thread starter asked:(.

i think we stayed on topic quite well in this example, feel free to give me a few examples of what you are referring to and Ill look into them

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
What is the difference between the GeForce 7800GS and the 7800GT?

Is one noticeably better than the other?
Yes there is, the 7800GT is the superior card.

Noticed this alot now, people seem to babble on and dont answer the question the thread starter asked.
Was my post better? ;)

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
GS = AGP version. GT = pci-express version. In almost all cases the GT is better than the GS, however, I believe the Albatron version of the 7800GS uses the same core as the 7800GT, thus resulting in all 20 pipelines.

Geoff

VIP Member
GS = AGP version. GT = pci-express version. In almost all cases the GT is better than the GS, however, I believe the Albatron version of the 7800GS uses the same core as the 7800GT, thus resulting in all 20 pipelines.
The GS isn't just for AGP, the 7900GS is for PCI-E, as well as the earlier and newer models.

Unless you were talking about just the 7800GS..

PC Hobbyist

Wow, thanks for all those responses. It's a bummer that I can't go with the 7800GT since I only have AGP. I ordered the 7800GS from newegg (119 bucks after MIR!!!) and I'll give it a try. I also got a new power supply unit because the one I have would not have been enough. I hope the PSU is not too tricky to install. I'm just now starting to get into games and this should be a good improvement for starters. I guess not having pci-e really limits me. Thanks again to everyone!

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
[-0MEGA-];754476 said:
The GS isn't just for AGP, the 7900GS is for PCI-E, as well as the earlier and newer models.

Unless you were talking about just the 7800GS..

Yeah I was specifically talking about the 7800's.