nvrd32.sys error on Dell mini 9

larbec7

I'm trying to reinstall Win XP SP3 on my Inspiron Mini 9 but after first restart I get the error message "Couldn't find file nvrd32.sys. I purchased an external DVD drive and it boots back up but after I plug in the product key it goes through some scanning and then I get the error. It will boot up back in to windows but I want to reinstall.

Any ideas???

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you booting to the install cd? If you want to totally wipe the drive and start fresh, you must boot to the cd and then delete existing partitions and repartition/format and then install.

larbec7

I am trying to boot from CD, I hit "0" and it comes up to boot from cd/dvd drive and it goes to the screen do I want to use advance or not and I say I do. Then I load the key and it reboots up to the error code nvrd32.sys

larbec7

After reading numerous threads I have learned that NO ONE knows how to fix this issue and DELL has once again sold a lemon that THEY do not even know how to fix....sad

Broni

VIP Member
You may have to sliptream the nvidia chipset driver into a new install cd
That's one option.
You can also try this....
Copy nVidia driver to USB drive.
During Windows installation, at the bottom of the screen you'll see an option to provide that driver by pressing F6 key.
Point the installation process to nVidia file location on USB drive.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That's one option.
You can also try this....
Copy nVidia driver to USB drive.
During Windows installation, at the bottom of the screen you'll see an option to provide that driver by pressing F6 key.
Point the installation process to nVidia file location on USB drive.

Xp doesn't allow drivers to be added at setup via usb, only by floppy drive. Vista and W7 allow usb drive but not xp.