OC p4 3.4 GHz

Gravegun

Hey I am getting a P4 3.4 *478*, and a VIA P4M800 board. Any clue if it will be nifty to OC at all? I have looked on the sticky and googled/ask'd it nothing...

Geoff

VIP Member
The Pentium 4 should overclock quite well, however VIA chipsets are horrible for overclocking, mainly because they have such limited settings to tweak. Most motherboards with VIA chipsets only allow you to raise the FSB frequency, and dont allow you to change voltages. Most of them (especially the 478 version), dont have PCI or SATA locks, so unless your using an IDE hard drive, dont expect to overclock much at all without having a boot disk failure message appear.

Michael

I wouldn't bother OC'ing that chip, in my opinion, you'll only see a noticeable rise in heat (how hot it runs)... 3.4GHz is already pretty fast.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
P4's arent great OC'ers in my opinion, there hot enough as they are. Mine's idling (2.8GHz stock) at 39C with AS5, Full copper heatsink, 43CFM fan.

Jon Boy

P4's arent great OC'ers in my opinion, there hot enough as they are. Mine's idling (2.8GHz stock) at 39C with AS5, Full copper heatsink, 43CFM fan.

Better than my 3.8Ghz P4 ideling at 68 Degrees (was 78 before I cleaned away the dust lol)

Darkserge

Do your bios have (number)% overclocked? I do have it in my bios for 5, 10, 20, 30% overclocked. I did overclocked 5% but it freeze up in gaming...

Jon Boy

Did you over clock too much so your power supply was not great enough under high demand. Or your computer is simply just not good enough for the game your playing.

Geoff

VIP Member
Think I will be bale to do much with clock gen?
ClockGen is even worse, and has an even more limited number of features. Thats of course given that you can find the correct PLL for your motherboard.

I wouldn't say that, I believe the record for the highest clock speed was done on a P4, but granted they don't overclock as well per clock as say, the Core 2 Duo does for the majority of users.

Do your bios have (number)% overclocked? I do have it in my bios for 5, 10, 20, 30% overclocked. I did overclocked 5% but it freeze up in gaming...
Thats the "noob" way of overclocking. Anyone that knows anything about overclocking should stay away from those "auto" overclocking features in the BIOS. You should(want) to change the FSB, voltages, memory timings, and so on, manually.