Odd connectivity

P Bowry

My phone's 5G was showing over 30mb/sec download speed but my Chromebook which was tethering of the phones personal hotspot was showing just under 3mb/sec (around 90% reduction in download speed) and also taking into account that the Chromebook was power washed so why would this ever be? Isn't this peculiar or not??

beers

Staff member
Tether hosts actually have a different traffic policy than the native host.

But as always any transfer depends on different destinations, you can't suck 30 mbit through a different host that only offers 10 for example.

Also make sure you aren't mixing up units. 30 mbit in speed test and 3 MB/sec as a download transfer (which is ~24 mbit) are pretty close to the same thing.

P Bowry

It does. I was hoping somebody with some technical knowledge of internet connectivity would shed some light into this issue. The Wi-Fi card in my Chromebook C214M is WI-FI 6 and also in my iPhone SE 2022 is also WI-FI 6 so therefore theoretical minimum speed should be at least 1200MB/sec for WI-FI 6 so therefore the Chromebook in theory should be able to easily capable of handling a measly 30mb/sec.

Just to update:
The Chromebook today reach over 30mb/sec when I did a speed test.

I might now just post this thread into the OS category section.

beers

Staff member
Cool, show me where I indicated anything about wifi6 specifically.

minimum speed should be at least 1200MB/sec
You're mixing up units, again, which appears to be the entirety of your issue.

I was hoping somebody with some technical knowledge of internet connectivity would shed some light into this issue.
I have 10+ years as a network engineer, but best of luck moving forward.

P Bowry

Cool, show me where I indicated anything about wifi6 specifically.

You're mixing up units, again, which appears to be the entirety of your issue.

I have 10+ years as a network engineer, but best of luck moving forward.
Not really the whole point of a forum is be helpful but what you are doing is actually being unhelpful. You could quite easy give a solution or at least point me in the right direction on what to do. In fact until today I thought it might have been a network issue but obviously after performing the speed test again today I could ascertain that it now might actually be OS related.

I never said you mention anything about WI-FI 6 it was me, donut !

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As Beers as said, make sure both machines are set for the same setting in speedtest, Mbps or Mb/s. What internet speed are you paying for actually? A lot of things can determine the actual download speed difference in devices. What I would do is tether your phone to another device to compare speeds. If its the same then you can most likely assume your phone has something to do with it. And usually the tethered device will not get anywhere near close to what the tethering device is getting.

If your phone truly is getting 30Mb/s then your total bandwidth would be around 240Mbps or a little higher. Go to www.speedtest.net and do a screenshot of your speedtest for each device and post back here. You may be misinterpreting Mb/s or Mbps. Mbps is megabits per second which would be your total bandwidth from your provider. Mb/s is megabytes per second actual data transfer speed. What you do is take your total bandwidth speed and divide by 8 which would give you your download transfer rate. So if you pay for 300Mbps speed from your provider, your actual data transfer speed would be 300/8 or roughly 37.5 Mb/s.

So you are either having an issue with the different speeds or you have a hardware issue between the phone and the tethered device.

P Bowry

Okay. I get your point now mbps meaning bits per second and mb meaning mega bytes. But anyway my phone was still getting over 30mbp/sec and my Chromebook only over 3mbp/sec and then the day after the Chromebook was getting the fullspeed of the hotspot connection over 30mbp/sec.

Why the change for? Considering the Chromebook was tested after a powerwash?

Messaging can be confusing I thought beers meant unit meaning wrong category.

P Bowry

Oh to be honest with you I should have know about the units but on the online speedtest it has mbp in very small print and I just assume (now I am the donut ) that I was getting 30mb/sec which I thought was reasonable for a 5G connection but know thinking about it 30mbp/sec speed is terrible for 5G.