Odd issue, even for a pc repairman! Think u can figure it out?

new vega

well, i have a pentium 4 2.6, as rock mobo, 6600 gt vid card, 1 gb ultra pc3200. when i run videos like mpegs, the pc will freeze and unfreeze ever few seconds and no programs will react, not even Alt-ctrl-del. any idea what i should do? ive only had the pc for bout a year. i have switched out the vid card with an old mx4000 and the video worked, but i put my 6600 gt in my bro's pc and vid worked fine. i also tried a nvidia 6200 and my vid crapped like my 6600gt. it used 2 work when i bought everythin till 1 day it just stopped working. What do i do??? appreciate the help.

-|\|3\// \/364

new vega

wat i thought

i tried that too. i think it has somethion 2 do with that cuz old cards work and new 1s dont. i put it on 4x and it still freezes! crazy!

Lax

VIP Member
Sounds like it might be a software problem (could also be virus, spyware/adware, any number of things), open Task Manager before hand and see what's running when you do the video and see if any 1 program spikes on either mem or cpu usage (other than MPC or VLC [which I assume you're using cause you said you've been doing repairs/working with machines for a while] such as explorer) and if it's a non-critical process either end it or look it up for an explanation of what it is.

P.s. What OS are you running.

new vega

nope

well, i no its not a virus cuz ive taken the liberty never to put this pc on the internet. i still have a virus scan on it that i use on downloads to check em out......but i did recently up from a 350 watt PSU to a 550 watt, im gonna try swappen between the 2 and see if the video works. thanx guys for the help so far, i think were maken progress. keep it commin!!

new vega

my os?

Win XP Pro CorP. w/ Service pack 1

to my knowlege, Service pack 2 has massive network issues but correct me if theres a fix, please.

new vega

still no luck

well, i switched em and still have the same problem. i really dont want to buy a new mobo but its looking bad. is there ANY other suggestions. im open 2 everythin. talk bout a stumper huh?

Tinygn0me

clean???

i had this problem with a 4 year old computer

any dust in there or something try some air-in-a-can

also try to check temps of things maybe it is over heating it shouldnt but check anyways

also check for any things that might be takin up ram or something like that or and infinate loop programs

Arm_Pit

banned
new vega said:
well, i no its not a virus cuz ive taken the liberty never to put this pc on the internet. i still have a virus scan on it that i use on downloads to check em out......but i did recently up from a 350 watt PSU to a 550 watt, im gonna try swappen between the 2 and see if the video works. thanx guys for the help so far, i think were maken progress. keep it commin!!
You can get viruses without getting on the internet.

new vega

check list

well, i checked for ram hog programs and found nothing and i blew out the board and slots with can air and it still qwerks sooooo, now wat? this is a serious pain and im trying to be pro and see if i just overlooked somethin instead of just going out and wasting more $$$ but my $$$ is starting to get one of those looks! ( :eek: )

rahving

I'm no expert, just throwing stuff out there for you to think about, whether it has been said or not.

*bad video card - have you tried with any other card, integrated graphics if applicable?

*bad codecs, etc still in the system/registry?

*directx conflict/problem?

*just pray it's not your mobo :)

new vega

|\|0\// \//|-|47?

i tried rebooting 6 different times and no luck (including full format)

tried all direct x tests and it passed w/ flying colors

vid card good

if u have bad codecs, wouldnt that screw up all vid cards? i tried other cards and some worked.

old mx4000=pass

new 6200pro=fail

friends 6600gt=fail

bdavid17

not sure if this would work, but you would be able to figure out if the problem is software or hardware related. Try a linux disrto if you have a spare hard drive around or just try a live cd. i think the spare hard drive would be the best way. just install something simple like ubuntu. get mplayer. and the nvidia drivers and see if you have the same problem. hope this helps