Odd power supply issue. Any help would be awesome.

redseamen81

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3531 (actually my wifes computer). Recently I started experiencing power supply issues. At first it wouldn't turn on, but the LED light would light up when plugged in (according to the missus). By the time I got around to messing with it the LED woulldn't light up. I thought it may be a CMOS battery, so I put a new one in after verifying the voltage with a multimeter. When the computer still wouldn't power up I checked the adapters output voltage and read .05v. So I figure great! I just need to order a new adapter. When I plugged in the new adapter still no power up, so I bust out the trusty multimeter again. Read no voltage. I thought that was weird, but sometimes things are faulty when you get them new, especially if they're from an off brand to save a few bucks. I then ordered one from Dell with the same result. No power, 0.05v reading. I never thought to read the output BEFORE plugging it in so I don't know if they were good before I plugged them in. Which brings me to my question. Is there any fault in the laptop which would cause a perfectly good adapter to fail?

Darren

Staff member
Probably bad power jack. Anything ever spilled on it, sometimes a shorting keyboard can prevent it from powering up. Fried motherboard also would cause no power either of course.

Agent Smith

Are you using the probes correctly when testing the voltage? Also, the meter is set to DC volts?

Never mind. Don't think it matters if the laptop isn't even powering, but knowing for sure if it's the adapter can help. Otherwise you do in fact have a PSU issue inside the laptop and in that case it's pretty much trash. Unless of course you are good with a soldering gun.

Just for the hell of it. Reseat the RAM. And if it doesn't work reseat the RAM a second time. I have a very old laptop someone thought was dead and wouldn't power on. I reseat the RAM and it powered on. Weird, I know, but it worked for me. Perhaps it has bad contact points or something.

redseamen81

Are you using the probes correctly when testing the voltage? Also, the meter is set to DC volts?

Never mind. Don't think it matters if the laptop isn't even powering, but knowing for sure if it's the adapter can help. Otherwise you do in fact have a PSU issue inside the laptop and in that case it's pretty much trash. Unless of course you are good with a soldering gun.

Just for the hell of it. Reseat the RAM. And if it doesn't work reseat the RAM a second time. I have a very old laptop someone thought was dead and wouldn't power on. I reseat the RAM and it powered on. Weird, I know, but it worked for me. Perhaps it has bad contact points or something.
If it were an issue with he RAM not being seated well wouldn't the LED power indicator still light up? I'm very familiar with the multimeter and decent with a soldering iron. Is it a motherboard issue? I had someone else suggest it may be a power daughter board issue.

Agent Smith

I really have no idea. But when I had a similar issue it turned out to be RAM. Testing for a PSU or daughter board issue is beyond me. I'm sure you could trace it if you new the pin outs, but it's damn hard to find that kind of Info.