OEM or Retail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3crosis

New Member
Title says it all. Should I purchase the OEM version of Vista Home Premium 32-Bit or the Retail version? The reason I ask is because I know that I'll screw something up when I'm building it/installing the OS and then I won't be able to get a refund :(.
 
Last edited:
You can't get a refund for the OS if it's opened, both will work although from my understanding the OEM editions are "supposed' to be ordered with hardware, and have a more limited number of activations. I would go with the OEM version.
 
Alright thanks man. So neither one can't be returned if it's opened?

No, because you could easily create an image or copy of the disk, copy the activation key and return it. If they resold the OS, it would fail activation for the new user.
 
No, because you could easily create an image or copy of the disk, copy the activation key and return it. If they resold the OS, it would fail activation for the new user.

Hehe Ok mate thanks. One last question. The only difference besides not coming in a box, is that there is no customer service for OEM operating systems?
 
Hehe Ok mate thanks. One last question. The only difference besides not coming in a box, is that there is no customer service for OEM operating systems?

OEM does have customer support. Just that it doesn't come with a useless instruction manual.
 
Well there is more differences than that. A OEM is tied more to the motherboard than a retail. A OEM is not suppost to be transferred to another computer. If you change the board or anything out and it kicks in the reactivation just tell them it went out and had to be changed. I've never had a problem.
 
Title says it all. Should I purchase the OEM version of Vista Home Premium 32-Bit or the Retail version? The reason I ask is because I know that I'll screw something up when I'm building it/installing the OS and then I won't be able to get a refund :(.

The deal on XP was 3 machines SP2 for XP for both OEM and Retail activations. For Vista OEM and retail alike are for one machine according to the MS licensing agreement for the new version. You might as well simply save a few bucks grabbing a deal on an oem release.

You may even want to wait a bit since SP2 Beta 2 just came out with the final release being seen in early 2009 meaning new disks bought then will see the latest service pack included soon after.
 
The deal on XP was 3 machines SP2 for XP for both OEM and Retail activations. For Vista OEM and retail alike are for one machine according to the MS licensing agreement for the new version.

Show me something that shows you can install and activate XP Retail/OEM on three different computers.
 
The deal on XP was 3 machines SP2 for XP for both OEM and Retail activations. For Vista OEM and retail alike are for one machine according to the MS licensing agreement for the new version. You might as well simply save a few bucks grabbing a deal on an oem release.

You may even want to wait a bit since SP2 Beta 2 just came out with the final release being seen in early 2009 meaning new disks bought then will see the latest service pack included soon after.

uh, retard...
 
Show me something that shows you can install and activate XP Retail/OEM on three different computers.

He can't. He tried this a few months back and he wanted us to take his word that his friend worked at MS and told him that it was OK over the phone. Or some BS like that. IIRC, he went on and on, and then started pulling Beta Testing out from thin air in the usual PC fashion and using that as an excuse.

I'll try to dig up the Thread, but it's probably lost in the endless sea of "PC_eye = WTF" dribble on CF.
 
Show me something that shows you can install and activate XP Retail/OEM on three different computers.

lol news to me if you could!!!

oem/retail is tied to one rig only no exeptions, if in doubt ring microsoft and ask them

oem is tied to the mobo but retail you can only activate on one computer!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top