Off or stand-by

Yeti

VIP Member
I usually either turn it off or put it in hibernate, I sometimes use stand-by if I know I'm going to use the computer shortly.

Leaving it on will prevent damage to your power supply, but the electicity bill will increase of $3

Turning it on and off, will eventually damage the power supply first

Last edited:

Yeti

VIP Member
Assuming the computer is on for one full year, uses 100 W (constant) which is fairly conservative, and the price of electricity is $0.28 per kW-hr (the current price of electricity where I live) : (0.1 kW)(24 hr/day)(365 day/yr) = 876 kW-hr. (876 kW-hr)($0.28/kW-hr) = $245.28. If you have the computer off for half the time you'll cut that in half, saving the cost of a decent power supply :). In reality you'll be using more than 100 W if you have a newer computer and lots of fans, HDDs, a good graphics card etc.

Bobo

banned
PC Technology INC. said:
Turning it on and off, will eventually damage the power supply

My granma always turned hers off every night, and it blew the igp, which blew the mobo, cause I couldn't switch it over without anything to see

dave597

VIP Member
OS Dragon said:
Are they not the same thing? :confused:

No, they are different, hibernate copies all the data from the ram onto hard drive then switches off your pc.

Standby just switches all your components - ie ur computer except for the ram, so that data isnt lost. So if there is a power cut during standby, then you willl lose data.

On older computers hibernate takes longer than standby, some do not even have this option, and with my computer you can hardly notice the difference. But i leave it on 24/7 neway.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I used to leave my pc running 24-7 but now I turn it off just about every night as I have all those fancy lights and crap which I'd like to last as long as possible and honestly I dont see how turning off your computer every night is gonna harm your pc.

I frogot to mention it too. You're right. It will eventually damage the pieces, like a car engine

how is a pc anything like a car engine?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
"wear and tear" is wear and tear no matter if its inside a car or inside a computer....

Many people dont know this but its a good idea to let your car warm up for a few minutes before driving it, especially in cold weather. ...In my opinion, turning on and off a computer constantly only adds to the "wear and tear" of the machine.

... On a similar note, people that defrag their computers constantly and/or have their hard drives turn off after an allotted amount of time are also adding unnecessary wear and tear to their HD's.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Many people dont know this but its a good idea to let your car warm up for a few minutes before driving it, especially in cold weather.

well fortunatly I do know that ;-) and I also know Y that is and that would be because the engine oil settles and takes a minute to cover the internal components of the engine and so basicly when you first start your vehicle it's basicly running dry so to speak.. Anyhow with all that said It is still silly to compare a pc to a car engine as they are soooooooooooooooooooooooo far different that something else should have been used as an example is all.. Also the only moving parts of a pc are the fans and hard drive along with the roms that I can think of.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Thought I'd also add that if you left your vehicle running 24-7 I'd imaging it's lifetime would also be cut pretty short ;-).. I'm surprised that no one really has mentioned this that somthing running would be wear and tear... Think of a light when left turned on it has a certain amount of time b4 it burns out as with everything :) this of course is very hard for someone to argue otherwise I would imaging but i'm sure someone will and I'll find it a very interesting read ;-).

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Just because we cannot to see something move, does not mean it isn’t moving....

Remember in science class that entire lecture on electricity.. protons and electrons? ...

EDIT:

and your last point is a very good one. Thats why I said there are some similarities but... like with every analogy there are always flaws. :)

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Well basicly I feel my argument is a bit more sound :).. and I think we should let those protons and electrons rest so that they can life a long and healthy life such as myself so i'm going to reach over know and power of my pc and take a good nights sleep ;-)..