Office 2007 Transfer

Mattu

Hi all. I have a question about transferring my license/product key for Office 2007 to a another computer.

Okay about year ago, I bought Office 2007 Ultimate through this special program for students: http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx

The hard drive on the original desktop computer that I installed/activated it on is dead, so technically I can't "uninstall" it form that computer (I have since installed a new HD on that computer and it is up and running again, and I have NOT reinstalled Office 2007 on it). So, I got to thinking that having Office 2007 on my laptop would be more convenient to me than having it on my desktop. Is there a way I can transfer my license to my laptop or am I SOL and have to install it back on my desktop???

Thanks

Last edited:

terii

I am not certain about Office Ultimate but you can install the Home & Student version on three different computers. You may want to do some research on this matter.

Mattu

Ok I found this from the actual EULA: http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/DRHM/Storefront/Site/msshus/cm/multimedia/Office_2007_MSLT_EN.pdf

15.REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE. You may reassign the license to a
different device any number of times, but not more than one time every 90
days. If you reassign, that other device becomes the “licensed device.”
If you retire the licensed device due to hardware failure, you may
reassign the license sooner.

So now I wonder how I can explain this to Microsoft if it won't let me activate it online (on my laptop) and I have to call them...
Has anyone actually done this before?

Last edited:

Mattu

It's been a while since I first started this thread :eek:, but I just wanted to clear up this issue if anyone else has the same question.

Ok, my license for Office Ultimate 2007 through that student program mentioned above in my first post is only good for one computer. So, since I previously activated Office on my desktop (It is no longer on my desktop since my original HD died), I though that I would not be able to transfer it to my laptop. Well I finally installed Office on my Laptop and I was able to activate it online with no questions asked!

So, if any of you think that you're stuck with Office on the computer you first activated it on, there's hope! Just make sure that you uninstall it on the first computer you installed/activated it on, then you should be able to install/activate on the computer you want to move it to. Just not within 90 day as mentioned in the EULA. ^posted above in the 3rd post^

zombine210

It's been a while since I first started this thread :eek:, but I just wanted to clear up this issue if anyone else has the same question.

Ok, my license for Office Ultimate 2007 through that student program mentioned above in my first post is only good for one computer. So, since I previously activated Office on my desktop (It is no longer on my desktop since my original HD died), I though that I would not be able to transfer it to my laptop. Well I finally installed Office on my Laptop and I was able to activate it online with no questions asked!

So, if any of you think that you're stuck with Office on the computer you first activated it on, there's hope! Just make sure that you uninstall it on the first computer you installed/activated it on, then you should be able to install/activate on the computer you want to move it to. Just not within 90 day as mentioned in the EULA. ^posted above in the 3rd post^

i want to clarify something you may have missed on this issue, since i bought the same office 07 version through the student site. here's what the eula says (we fall under the retail version):

2.INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a
license, you must assign that license to one device. That device is the
“licensed device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a
separate device.
a.Licensed Device. You may install and use one copy of the software
on the licensed device.
b.Portable Device. You may install another copy on a portable device
for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.
c.Separation of Components. The components of the software are
licensed as a single unit. You may not separate the components and
install them on different devices.

this means you can install the software on your licensed device (desktop) and a portable device (laptop) as long as it's used by the primary user (you). there are no problems when doing this since i have it installed on two machines this way and had no problems with activation; even when i reinstalled it on my laptop when i upgraded to windows 7 on it.

hope that helps.

Last edited: