Office software

ANNR

Does anybody know of a Microsoft office replacement program?

The program needs to be able to open/edit/create/save works in Microsoft office format, like word, power point and excel.

beers

Staff member
OpenOffice or LibreOffice are the main open source alternatives.

It can write into MS formats but the compatibility isn't fully 100%, so you might see weird formatting on some documents.

ANNR

Just installed open office

Does anybody know how I can change the default file type save settings? I want the files to be saved in .doc automatically.

I googled for instruction but can't find the option to default save files in .doc format.

openoffice.jpg

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Just installed open office

Does anybody know how I can change the default file type save settings? I want the files to be saved in .doc automatically.

I googled for instruction but can't find the option to default save files in .doc format.

View attachment 6624
Did you scroll that dropdown? It would be called Microsoft Office.

salvage-this

Libre office is a fork of Open Office. Seems like they are doing a bit more development on the project over Open Office. Might want to give Libre Office a go or WPS OFfice http://www.wps.com/wps-office-personal

The menu that you are in should be the right location to saving in MS formats. Scroll bar doesn't have any other options?

strollin

If you have OneDrive or an Outlook.com account you could always use the on-line versions of Word, Excel and Powerpoint. They are free but you need an internet connection to access them.

ANNR

I just installed LibreOffice and was able to change the default save format to word documents but I have another problem.

When I open the spreadsheet and try to set the default save format to excel format, there was no way to do it and its the same with presentation.

Does anybody know how to set it?

I have Outlook.com account, I will use the online versions of word, excel and powerpoint too.