*Official* Post Your Pictures Thread

spirit

Staff member
I received entrance to a wildlife photography course at the local zoo for my 16th birthday about 2 weeks ago. I went yesterday and although the weather wasn't the best, I still got some good shots. It was run by a local professional photographer. The weather not being the best (grey skies but not rainy) meant that nobody was in the zoo so we got close to all of the animals which was great. :good:

I'll post several here but the rest can be seen on my Flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonbrown2013/sets/72157636545725504/

10271308816_177c82c795_b.jpg

10271331075_efd147582c_b.jpg

10271054126_1a44caa2d1_b.jpg

10271047305_1d35b1b6e5_b.jpg

10271329213_ee7217e6cd_b.jpg

10271229255_2d585351b9_b.jpg

10271025766_94a29909ee_b.jpg

10271147503_8d7a7baa99_b.jpg

10271202596_740173369c_b.jpg

10271293476_8a3e25fab0_b.jpg

10271510386_7225086216_b.jpg

^ Tiger cub!

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Wow, that's brilliant mate. The teal-ish background complements the (jaguar?)'s amber coat perfectly. Looks like the overcast day made for some beautiful colours
Thanks! Yes, the overcast day was actually a benefit in some ways! That shot was actually through glass. :) It's a leopard by the way, but it does look very similar to a jaguar. ;)

You got some good shots too. I like the mist in the first one and the third one is good too but it's a shame about those people who got in the way. :(

G80FTW

Still learning to use my new Nikon D3100....

The moon was actually my whole goal of getting out today. May not be the best but at least I finally caught it.

I will be taking it back out later today after the battery is charged.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Second one down is my favourite, definitely. Really nice colours and nice silhouettes too.

Snapped this shot of one of my new cats, Basil, with the D3200 and the 55-300. ISO 1600 too (with no noise reduction done in Lightroom), looks pretty good I think!

10513452666_88ef005c5e_b.jpg

Got a week off from school this week. I know I want to get some shots of the fireworks on Friday for Bonfire Night but I think the weather is meant to be quite bad and I'm supposed to be doing a bit of school work haha. ;)

G80FTW

After my little adventure experimenting with wildlife photography today, this is what I came up with. To be fair there wasnt much wildlife out where I was sadly, probably because its getting colder here. Id imagine if I stuck around long enough I may have been able to spot some deer but felt that after 4 hours I needed to go home and process what I had.

All done with the 55-200mm lens:

I cropped this one:

I was actually having alot of trouble with this spider. The bastard wouldnt stop moving and I was trying to manually focus on him with full zoom leaving me with resorting to slow shutter speeds. In retrospect, I could have just increased the ISO from the 100 I was using haha. Didnt think about it at the time, but after snapping about 20 pictures of him I felt these 2 were the best:

And a timeless classic photograph, the old solo black and white bench:

I still have about 30 more non wildlife pictures to sort through, but I think these are the best out of the 70-80 pictures I took.

spirit

Staff member
The second photo of the squirrel is better than the first purely because the squirrel is in focus. What ISO and settings did you use? Make sure that you are focusing on the squirrel, and I know they can move around quite quick. ;)

With regards to ISO, don't be afraid to push it up on the D3100. You can get some very nice clean shots out of ISO 1600 and if you use noise reduction in Lightroom or something similar (which you could do since you are using RAW), then ISO 3200 should be all right. I'm not sure about anything beyond 3200, I've not ever needed to use 6400 and I'd never touch the Hi-1, which is the equivalent of 12,800. It looks incredibly grainy.

G80FTW

The second photo of the squirrel is better than the first purely because the squirrel is in focus. What ISO and settings did you use? Make sure that you are focusing on the squirrel, and I know they can move around quite quick. ;)

With regards to ISO, don't be afraid to push it up on the D3100. You can get some very nice clean shots out of ISO 1600 and if you use noise reduction in Lightroom or something similar (which you could do since you are using RAW), then ISO 3200 should be all right. I'm not sure about anything beyond 3200, I've not ever needed to use 6400 and I'd never touch the Hi-1, which is the equivalent of 12,800. It looks incredibly grainy.

Yes next weekend on my next adventure I will be sure to crank up the ISO and try to get more actiony shots hoping I can actually find some wildlife other than squirrels.

Also, I was using between 100-400 ISO. I believe when I started photographing the squirrels I turned it up to 400 simply because of the shady areas they were in. The spider was done in 100 because I hadnt bothered to change it at that point.

G80FTW

Still trying to get good night sky pictures with this camera with no luck. I must be doing it wrong.

This is the best I can come up with:

Both of these were shot with a 30 second shutter speed, f/6.3 (havent figured out how to change that in full manual yet), ISO 800.

The blurry clouds I understand, but it seems like it still wont get the stars into focus. I have it set to infinite focus I believe, the focus dial is turned all the way clockwise which I think is infinite though my lens does not have numbers to indicate.

Any ideas? Im thinking it might just be signs of star trails from the long shutter, but I think I get this even at 15 seconds. I will try some faster speeds later.

My Canon S110 point and shoot can focus on them better than this. Though i used f/1.8 with it.

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
When I shoot starts I focus to infinity then back off just a bit. Refer to your manual to figure out your aperture problem.

Fatback

VIP Member
Doubtful as I've done the same on 4 different bodies and 3 different lenses and it always works the same for me. Everyone as there ways I guess though.

Geoff

VIP Member
Doubtful as I've done the same on 4 different bodies and 3 different lenses and it always works the same for me. Everyone as there ways I guess though.
I accidentally quoted you but my comment was meant for G80FTW.

Gonna be rather hard to focus on somethin i cant see. And it wont autofocus on them either. I will try again tonight.
Understandable, that's why I would figure out which where infinity is on the focus ring by manually focusing on something close, then do as Fatback said and set it to infinity and back it down a little.

If your camera has live view, you can use the LCD and zoom in 10x or so and try focusing then.