*Official* Post Your Pictures Thread

I didnt think snow photography could be that cool! Ill have to try it out when it snows here. How do the lenses handle the cold and moisture though?? Thats why I dont like taking my camera outside when its humid or cold.

I didnt think snow photography could be that cool! Ill have to try it out when it snows here. How do the lenses handle the cold and moisture though?? Thats why I dont like taking my camera outside when its humid or cold.

Recently when I've been outside for a long time and then I come back into the warm house, my lenses have been 'steaming up' a little bit, but if I remember correctly, those photos were taken outside at about -10C and I didn't have any problems. I was quite impressed with how the D3200 performed!

During the winter here it regularly drops to below -40 and although the battery does drain faster and the lenses/display fog up when you get back inside the house, there's no problem.

Don't baby your cameras, they're built to handle the elements. Besides, if you just sit there afraid to go outside, you'll never get any photos at all.

Nice set BTW Jason! I'll have to do some processing on my old snow shots too.

You just have to be careful coming from a cold environment to a warm environment. Someone mentioned putting the lens in a bag and then bringing it inside to warm up without moisture getting inside.

During the winter here it regularly drops to below -40 and although the battery does drain faster and the lenses/display fog up when you get back inside the house, there's no problem.

Don't baby your cameras, they're built to handle the elements. Besides, if you just sit there afraid to go outside, you'll never get any photos at all.

Nice set BTW Jason! I'll have to do some processing on my old snow shots too.

Good to know I'm not the only one who gets fogged up lenses, haha! ;)

And cheers Evan, I may re-process some more when I get the time. I still need to get those photos from Sunday up!

You just have to be careful coming from a cold environment to a warm environment. Someone mentioned putting the lens in a bag and then bringing it inside to warm up without moisture getting inside.

Like a camera bag? Then by taking the lens off though couldnt you then expose moisture to the sensor itself?

I might sound a bit paranoid, but after spending all this money on this camera (I know its still an entry level) I want it to last as long as possible. I already found a weak point in its design, the battery hatch. Dont know why Nikon stuck with this battery hatch as its been a huge design flaw with their cameras for decades as they usually break within a year or 2.

Like a camera bag? Then by taking the lens off though couldnt you then expose moisture to the sensor itself?

I might sound a bit paranoid, but after spending all this money on this camera (I know its still an entry level) I want it to last as long as possible. I already found a weak point in its design, the battery hatch. Dont know why Nikon stuck with this battery hatch as its been a huge design flaw with their cameras for decades as they usually break within a year or 2.

Hmmm, my D40 is five years old and never had a single problem. Took it with me hiking a lot, and absolutely everywhere with temperatures as low as -15 degrees celcius ;)

I'm the same in that I like to look after my stuff as best as possible, but my general rule of thumb is that I do not replace the lens unless I absolutely have to. Before I go shooting, I decide what I might be shooting and pick an appropriate lens, and try to stick with it if I can. Obviously if I need to change it, I will, but I will only do it if I need to.

The shots of Norwich Cathedral (and the area) which I got on Sunday.

10696393584_86abd9927c_b.jpg

10696334715_087ea51fb1_b.jpg

10696330915_e4d20b83ab_b.jpg

10696397746_b68b8b7191_b.jpg

10696372374_42e17f0ac2_b.jpg

10696560153_3ec55ee1f6_b.jpg

I'm the same in that I like to look after my stuff as best as possible, but my general rule of thumb is that I do not replace the lens unless I absolutely have to. Before I go shooting, I decide what I might be shooting and pick an appropriate lens, and try to stick with it if I can. Obviously if I need to change it, I will, but I will only do it if I need to.

Yea I cant stick with one lens yet haha. Granted on both my hiking trips I took last weekend I did primarily only use one each time, but sometimes Ill often spot something that requires the reach of the 200mm.

And I did some reading, and it seems that if I use higher f stops with the 55-200mm it might help to sharpen the image and give me better image quality. At the sacrifice of shutter speed though, which I did do some shooting during the day at 1600 ISO and saw no noise at all. Guess it just depends on the lighting.

This weekend I will take the 55-200mm out again and try using higher f stops and a 1600 ISO and see if that increases the quality any.

-EDIT-

Did some testing inside at 200mm. Both pictures were taken from the exact same distance with an ISO of 1600. The camera was set on the table using the 2 second timer to ensure no blur from touching the shutter button. The focus dial was also not touched, only thing I touched was the adjustment dial on the back to change the aperture.

Using the lowest aperture of 5.6 (which is what I have always used shooting with it outdoors):

The highest aperture of 32:

So from the looks of these pictures, I will def be using much higher f stops at 200mm. Probably not f/32 but f/5.6 looks horrible haha. f/32 looks sharp as a tack though.... I wonder what that would reduce my shutter speed to outdoors in sunlight....cant wait to take it out!

Last edited:
So from the looks of these pictures, I will def be using much higher f stops at 200mm. Probably not f/32 but f/5.6 looks horrible haha. f/32 looks sharp as a tack though.... I wonder what that would reduce my shutter speed to outdoors in sunlight....cant wait to take it out!
What you want is an aperture somewhere in the middle, say around f/8-f/11.

Check out this lens comparison site to see the IQ of lenses at different apertures: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...p=398&CameraComp=474&SampleComp=0&FLI=0&API=0

I see your G2 photo and raise you my Nexus 5 HDR.
Ah, well I raise you a G2 HDR :p

i-5QQxfF5-XL.jpg

Took this when I got home at f/32 ISO 400 with flash (built in flash, havent got batteries for my sunpak yet)

Also took this picture a few nights ago:

And this is a picture I took about a decade ago. Cant remember what camera I used, but I believe it was my Nikon E990. Judging by the quality though it may have been a cell phone. I did alot of overhauling with it in photoshop:

Last edited:
I don't know. The megapixels don't really bother me too much. But the image quality looks fantastic for a camera phone, don't you agree?

meh. I guess :) From looking at the specs, it looks like it has a better sensor in it than most point and shoot and cameras. Its probably just as good as the one in my Canon S110.

Back