*Official* Post Your Pictures Thread

Geoff

VIP Member
The ONLY reason I said tripod is because A, easier to get straight, but the main reason I said tripod is because I said f/22. Your shutter speed was already at 120th. at f/22, the ONLY way you would get to HOLD your camera is by bumping iso way up, and the D3200 does not have the best noise handling. So If you would have used a tripod you could have possible been straighter, AND you could have used f/22 at iso 100 keeping noise way down.
Why do you think he has to shoot at f/22? As I said earlier, the peak IQ of most lenses is around f/8-f/14. Granted f/22 would allow for more of the photo to be in focus, the areas in focus will be softer than if shot at f/8-f/14.

I fail to see why you think there is only one way to capture a photo like this. Maybe he didn't have or want to carry around a tripod with him? Maybe he doesn't want motion blur? Not everyone wants to shoot at a slow shutter speed and use a tripod for every shot.

NikonGuy

banned
Why do you think he has to shoot at f/22? As I said earlier, the peak IQ of most lenses is around f/8-f/14. Granted f/22 would allow for more of the photo to be in focus, the areas in focus will be softer than if shot at f/8-f/14.

I fail to see why you think there is only one way to capture a photo like this. Maybe he didn't have or want to carry around a tripod with him? Maybe he doesn't want motion blur? Not everyone wants to shoot at a slow shutter speed and use a tripod for every shot.

One way? I see at least 30 different way to shoot it. And if i was there it would probably be even more. And you all are taking suggestion for this photo as if i said it was for everything, which is total and completely bullshit.

Saying that completely takes the credibility out of your post because you generalize everything I say and there is a no one of a decent discussion that way.

To all, did I come of as a dick and being rude, I admit it and I apologize I didnt mean too come off that harsh. And my first comment was uncalled for. But thats no reason to take everything I say way ojt of context and say crap im not saying, but that you are purposly making out of it.

spirit

Staff member
Alright guys let's move on.... apology accepted and sorry if I kind of pounced on you with my first reply.

Jamebonds1

The ONLY reason I said tripod is because A, easier to get straight, but the main reason I said tripod is because I said f/22. Your shutter speed was already at 120th. at f/22, the ONLY way you would get to HOLD your camera is by bumping iso way up, and the D3200 does not have the best noise handling. So If you would have used a tripod you could have possible been straighter, AND you could have used f/22 at iso 100 keeping noise way down.

That is ridiculous. It is like you are critic only one camera other than your own Nikon camera. You all people should know that all camera have issue "the bigger pixel the bigger noise". That applied to all Nikon and Canon. If your hand are always shake then surely using tripod for better shot at daylight. But if your hand are fine, then don't bring tripod and shoot at daylight. I ever can shot better picture with my hand at 100 ISO during daylight.

Punk

Staff member
Went for a quick walk around my town :)

sthilaire3_zps3e4d4b53.jpg

sthilaire4_zpsff3c50f6.jpg

sthilaire_zps9c565f77.jpg

sthilaire2_zps6ae87d2b.jpg

G80FTW

This is a very old picture I took with a not so good camera and just now thought I would spice it up a bit by mixing it with a picture I took of the moon during the day:

There was actually alot of noise from the low quality camera, however the noise doesnt really show in the bright white clouds and the picture I overlayed for the sky was taken with my Nikon so it was much higher quality. So all in all, I think I effectively increased the IQ of the picture :)

And this is another picture I decided to add to. Thought I would make use of my lightning pictures, though they arnt very good. This was the only picture I had that I thought could use a nice bolt:

Last edited:

NikonGuy

banned
This is a very old picture I took with a not so good camera and just now thought I would spice it up a bit by mixing it with a picture I took of the moon during the day:

There was actually alot of noise from the low quality camera, however the noise doesnt really show in the bright white clouds and the picture I overlayed for the sky was taken with my Nikon so it was much higher quality. So all in all, I think I effectively increased the IQ of the picture :)

And this is another picture I decided to add to. Thought I would make use of my lightning pictures, though they arnt very good. This was the only picture I had that I thought could use a nice bolt:

I actually really like them. While they aren't " high quality " in terms of noise, or detail, or color etc. They both still are really awesome. Just the size of the moon in the clouds there, good job on both :good:

G80FTW

I actually really like them. While they aren't " high quality " in terms of noise, or detail, or color etc. They both still are really awesome. Just the size of the moon in the clouds there, good job on both :good:

Thank you. I actually think i am going to start a new folder just for skies. And fill it up. I love changing the skies in some of my pictures. Its ultra easy and can sometimes make the image even better.

Punk

Staff member
Lovely lighting. I like how the mountains look quite dark against that warm light! Looks very peaceful too. :)

Thanks! I'm not 100% pleased with how the HDR turned out but that's pretty close to what I was seeing that afternoon :)

NikonGuy

banned
1538byb.jpg

I did over expose this one on propose,( ^ ) But even in pos the clouds seem to have an unrealistic blue I can't remove?.. Plus looks grainy to me. What do you guys think?

20frl2f.jpg

This is the only one I actually really like. ( ^ )

2r4sh9y.jpg

Seems to me like the corn just isn't focus, you can't tell anything apart? ( ^ )

2llcc4h.jpg

Here I could only get the clouds to look dramatic, but it took away color of the corn messing it up. ( ^ )

htwbgw.jpg

Here it seems far to yellow, am I correct? ( ^ )

2i8xi09.jpg

If you would not know this is a day time shot, Would it pass as a night shot? ( ^ )

zk0r5c.jpg

Also again, Too yellow?

spirit

Staff member
Thanks! I'm not 100% pleased with how the HDR turned out but that's pretty close to what I was seeing that afternoon :)
Didn't even notice these were HDR. Nicely done! :good:

1538byb.jpg

I did over expose this one on propose,( ^ ) But even in pos the clouds seem to have an unrealistic blue I can't remove?.. Plus looks grainy to me. What do you guys think?
Looks fine to me - doesn't seem grainy but I am looking at a small/resized version of your photo after all. What settings did you use?

It also doesn't look overexposed at all to me. How bright is your monitor if you think that is overexposed? :p

And I quite like the blue in the clouds but if you don't you can probably use the colour channels tool in Lightroom to try and remove it or adjust the white balance a bit.

Last edited:

NikonGuy

banned
Didn't even notice these were HDR. Nicely done! :good:

Looks fine to me - doesn't seem grainy but I am looking at a small/resized version of your photo after all. What settings did you use?

It also doesn't look overexposed at all to me. How bright is your monitor if you think that is overexposed? :p

And I quite like the blue in the clouds but if you don't you can probably use the colour channels tool in Lightroom to try and remove it or adjust the white balance a bit.

F/22 1/20th sec at Iso 100 Tripoded. It is not that I personally don't like the blue, I just have a notion in me that people don't like it if it doesn't look 100% real? Personally, I like the style, I like going beyond what you just see everyday. Just that does not matter is the rest of the world doesn't. ?

spirit

Staff member
Well like we've all told you, each photographer/person has their own taste. Some people love photos that look surreal and some hate them. What you need to do when you edit is not necessarily edit for other people, but edit for yourself. Edit the photos in the way you like and edit the photos how you like them. Obviously take on-board feedback to improve, but I think editing to please everybody who might look at your photos isn't going to happen because at the end of the day people have different tastes.

Another good thing to do is try new editing techniques. If you edit in one way and it doesn't work for you, try another.

It's not true at all that everybody will dislike your photos if they don't look 100% real, but there will be some people who will because everybody has their own taste after all. Ben (Punk) for example hates spot colour and prefers the more natural look, whereas I like spot colour because I think it is creative if it's done well. Ben disliking spot colour doesn't stop me or other people doing it. And then there's the never-ending HDR debate. Photography is an art after all. :)

Your photo looks realistic enough to me to be honest and it certainly isn't over-edited or a mess. I'd say it is edited well and doesn't look overexposed or grainy to me. :good:

Last edited:

NikonGuy

banned
Your photo looks realistic enough to me to be honest and it certainly isn't over-edited or a mess. I'd say it is edited well and doesn't look overexposed or grainy to me. :good:

Thank you. If you have a moment, what about the other photos?

spirit

Staff member
The first and second ones are definitely my favourites. I like the composition and leading lines in both. The second one looks a little underexposed to me and there is perhaps a tiny bit too much contrast but adjust that and it'll be a stunner. Sky looks good and the cloud formation looks dramatic which makes the photo interesting.

I'm not too hot on the third one but that's probably just the subject matter. Seems like there is too much contrast to me and it may be a little underexposed again (or just dark because of the contrast) but it looks like it's in focus, but again difficult to tell when looking at a resized version.

I prefer the fifth to the fourth - I think your composition in the fifth one is probably better. Sky looks fairly dramatic again and I like that but again too much contrast I think. You are right the white balance is perhaps a bit on the warm side, could try adjusting it to make it a tiny bit cooler but I don't think it's warm as you seem to think it is.

I can see what you've done in the sixth one - guess you could pass it off as a night shot if you didn't know it was taken in daylight.

And the final one is nice - I like how the pier enters the frame from the right and goes into the centre of the shot. Your composition is good and I like the tones in that one too. On my monitor it does seem perhaps a tiny bit underexposed though and the contrast seems quite high but you do get nice those nice blues in the sky as a result. What I tend to do to get nice blues in skies is play around with the tone curve and reduce the highlights, not increase the contrast.

I think the first, second and last are definitely my favourite photos because I prefer the subjects and I think your editing and composition are better in those shots. :)

Last edited: