*Official* Post Your Pictures Thread

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Pentax is cheap. The good thing about them is they're weather sealed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw

Nikon is good and just below Canon for price. Both Canon and Nikon are great brands and compete well in price and performance. In the end, it's just personal preference on which brand you want to go with.

Check out DigitalRevTV on YouTube. He reviews a whole bunch of different cameras. And he's quite entertaining to watch!
http://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalRevCom/videos

Justin

VIP Member
Only thing to watch out for Nikon is on the lower end camera bodies, if it doesn't have a focus motor some lenses won't autofocus. That's the reason why I ended up with Canon because everything works.

spirit

Staff member
Pentax is cheap. The good thing about them is they're weather sealed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw

Nikon is good and just below Canon for price. Both Canon and Nikon are great brands and compete well in price and performance. In the end, it's just personal preference on which brand you want to go with.

Check out DigitalRevTV on YouTube. He reviews a whole bunch of different cameras. And he's quite entertaining to watch!
http://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalRevCom/videos
Hmmm... the weather sealing on the Pnetaxes seems to work well, that soldier covered both of his cameras in sand and then put them in the shower and they still worked. That would be handy in Britain, especially the weather sealing! ;) The trouble is here Pentax are more expensive than Cannon it seems - well on eBay and Amazon they are. Will have a look on Wex.

I watched that guy's video on the 1100D vs the second hand 40D, seems the 40D has the better performance and build quality but the 1100D can take photos at a much higher ISO and it can record video which may or may not be handy.

Tough decision really, got plenty of time to decide yet though. I'm not sure how long it will take me to save up for a D-SLR though, could be a while. Birthday's coming up soon though. ;)

Only thing to watch out for Nikon is on the lower end camera bodies, if it doesn't have a focus motor some lenses won't autofocus. That's the reason why I ended up with Canon because everything works.
Ehh I think I'll just go for a Pentax or a Canon, they seem to be the preferred brands. Any other good brands I should know about? How about Sony?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Hmm may just go for the 1100D, looks pretty cheap and good. Can't find the T2i anywhere in the UK.

It's known as the 550D in Europe ;)

And once you've made a decision on a camera, try shopping on B&H Photo to see how prices work for you. They ship internationally.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Ehh I think I'll just go for a Pentax or a Canon, they seem to be the preferred brands. Any other good brands I should know about? How about Sony?

Don't go by what people say. If you're speaking numbers, Pentax is far from the preferred brand. Canon and Nikon are actually the leaders right now. Pentax just happens to make its way with very well equipped cameras at affordable prices (price/performance ratio) compared to Canon and Nikon. Nikon is well known for it's almost non-failing, awesome, accurate flash performance. Canon has the best lens line-up (in my opinion) and tends to always have the newest pieces of technology and little cool features. But all brands are good, don't try to find the most popular or the preferred brand.

Honestly, Dale is the only person I know who uses a Sony DSLR and I'm sure he loves it. Bob trusts his Pentax more than anything. Ben shoots with a Nikon. And there's a reason Geoff, Travis and Justin went Canon; It's down to personal preference.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
It's known as the 550D in Europe ;)

And once you've made a decision on a camera, try shopping on B&H Photo to see how prices work for you. They ship internationally.

Ah yes found the 550D on eBay and Amazon, it's a bit more expensive than the 1100D, is it really worth the extra money?

Had a look on B&H and they've discontinued the 550D/T2i. :(

voyagerfan99

Staff member
The benefits of the 550D are worth it in my opinion. Gives you more room to grow before you're ready to move on to a bigger and better DSLR.

spirit

Staff member
The benefits of the 550D are worth it in my opinion. Gives you more room to grow before you're ready to move on to a bigger and better DSLR.

Eh better start saving then.

I've just been out and taken a few shots. I'll upload them in a bit, need to edit them first. :p

Fatback

VIP Member
One of the biggest reason I picked Sony is because you can use Minolta lens that date back to the 70s. You can get them cheap off ebay and some of the glass is still better then what you can buy new today. Pentax has a good selection of old lens as well which is why I considered them. Also both Sony and Pentax have built in Stabilization in the bodies so you don't have to pay more for lenses with that feature like you do with Nikon and Canon. Really it's just down to preference. I recommend trying at lest one of each brand out if possible.

spirit

Staff member
tumblr_m8con5LDie1rr8jsmo1_1280.jpg

SunsetAugust6th.jpg

SunsetintheDistance.jpg

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Thanks Travis. :) Yeah I had to use a relatively high (for my camera) ISO to get the leaf, so the photo came out a bit grainy, so I edited it a bit to remove the grain and the result was it's a bit blurry. Oh well.

...and I know a D-SLR would take photos at a higher ISO with less noise, yes... ;)

mx344

Ah yes found the 550D on eBay and Amazon, it's a bit more expensive than the 1100D, is it really worth the extra money?

Had a look on B&H and they've discontinued the 550D/T2i. :(

I'd go for the 500d, save 50bucks. You won't find any noticeable difference in image quality of the 550d and 500d.

The XXXd are alot better feel than the XXXXd's

spirit

Staff member
I'd go for the 500d, save 50bucks. You won't find any noticeable difference in image quality of the 550d and 500d.

The XXXd are alot better feel than the XXXXd's

Hmm over here the 550D is cheaper by about £60 or so. 550D is £520 from Amazon, 500D is £580.

Still a lot of money, would take me a long while to save up that much. I think if I'm going to get a D-SLR something like an 1100D is what I'd get, it's a good £200 cheaper.

Last edited:

mx344

hmmm. thats weird lol.

Well, go with the 1100, it will be more around the performance of a 450d, only a little better, due to the newer tech. But Again, the step to a DSLR from any non DSLR will be a big one...
I started with a 300D, took beautiful images, so its okay to start lower :)