Official Superpi Mod Ranking Thread

87dtna

Well this Z77 board is crap for base clock overclock, or it could be the chip. My old Z68 board could do 108 base clock.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
yeah, you need to up your voltage somebit, because I had much blue screens :p...
Now I got 7.290s with only 4.9ghz, bus speed helps to overclock your ram speed too..

87dtna

Well if I had more gusto to do it, I used to be on the benching team at OCF (well I still am but inactive), I would have installed XP to run the test because that takes 2 tenths of your time alone. XP is usually 3 tenths faster than win 7, except I've found that running diagnostic mode in win7 cuts a tenth off.

Laquer Head

OC'ed the Ram a bit, upped base clock, and got 5.262GHz on the 3770K

..And no, I didn't use the crappy Asus software..:p

[22nm Ivy Bridge 3770k 5262MHz 1.544v] [DDR3 Dual Channel G-Skill 1600 9-9-9-24] [Asus P8Z68-V Pro] 7.005s

Screen Shot 5.2GHZ

Last edited:

Virssagòn

VIP Member
..And no, I didn't use the crappy Asus software..:p

haha xD, never do that! I tried it too :S...
it overclocked first to 4.9ghz, that worked.. But then it went farder to 5.6 ghz at a voltage of 1.6!!!
It made my system unstable, resetted it after some crashes...

Virssagòn

VIP Member
222wo.jpg

Jamebonds1

I guess the 5.01ghz in your sig isn't accurate if 4.8 takes 1.58v.....

I'm not joke. I was overclocked to 5.01 GHz but it is too unstable to using snipping tool. So i put my top speedclock record in my sig. I increased BCLK to 218 MHz, the unstable for benchmark and snipping tool.

spirit

Staff member
An i3 @ 4.8 and 1.5V is still crazy in my opinion. How hot does it run do you know?

Jamebonds1

An i3 @ 4.8 and 1.5V is still crazy in my opinion. How hot does it run do you know?

Yeah. it is near 85 C on 4.8 GHz. Old i3 using higher volt than Sandy Bridge i3. if it is highest temp, it will shut down to prevent from blow up CPU. Like a temp cap.

spirit

Staff member
85C's probably too hot I'd say. Is that at full load or idle? Still, not as bad as my friend's E5400 which idles at around 90-95C and goes over 100C at full load.

Jamebonds1

85C's probably too hot I'd say. Is that at full load or idle? Still, not as bad as my friend's E5400 which idles at around 90-95C and goes over 100C at full load.

at full load. I put my best thermal paste on CPU and heatsink which is might why it is good cooling CPU. 40 to 45 C at idle while i overclocked to 4.8 GHz.

spirit

Staff member
Idle temps are fine, it's just the full load temps are very high. I usually say anything over 75C at full load is probably too hot. No doubt the temperature probelsma re caused by your voltage, being 1.5v; I guess if you lower the voltage though then your system would become unstable and you'd have to lower the overclock.

Jamebonds1

Idle temps are fine, it's just the full load temps are very high. I usually say anything over 75C at full load is probably too hot. No doubt the temperature probelsma re caused by your voltage, being 1.5v; I guess if you lower the voltage though then your system would become unstable and you'd have to lower the overclock.

That's true. Some old CPU need 1.7 volt. The oldest CPU need use 5 volt. Like my Intel P4 need 1.5 volt for laptop.

Last edited:

87dtna

1.58 should not be run daily at all, it will seriously degrade a 32nm chip quite quickly. Lowering to 4.6 would likely not even be a noticeable speed difference and would probably only need 1.45v or so (unless you've already degraded the chip). Even 1.45 is high, but that would take 2-3 years to degrade which is well beyond it's service life expected.

Jamebonds1

1.58 should not be run daily at all, it will seriously degrade a 32nm chip quite quickly. Lowering to 4.6 would likely not even be a noticeable speed difference and would probably only need 1.45v or so (unless you've already degraded the chip). Even 1.45 is high, but that would take 2-3 years to degrade which is well beyond it's service life expected.

1.58 volt isn't in danger mark (the red font) but it is in warning mark (the pink font) My i3 is old generation and your i5 is new generation, so your CPU use low voltage than my i3 at stockclock.

87dtna

Yellow is the warning font, which is probably in the 1.3625-1.45v range. Pink is danger, and red means not recommended at all.

Old generation or new generation means nothing, it's 32nm fabrication which means 1.58v on air WILL degrade that chip rather quickly. My I5 is 22nm, which means yes it's even more sensitive to high voltage than yours.

spynoodle

Yeah, those voltages and temps are not safe. I degraded my Celeron D 356 ES running it at 80C 1.6v for a few minutes at a time, and that was a 65nm chip.