Offive programming

charly

:confused:

planing to build up a programm what includes managing, ordering, financial calculation and shipping papers. all based on database sql.

i already buildet a small version in excel what does it all, just the database is missing. in case of sizing up the company next year to € 500.000 sql is a must.
knowing a bit about office and vb brings me up to use it for the whole system.

after some classes of java it's an idea to use it, but many functions are implemented in office. still, news say SUN is going down and i'm not willing to learn MS Java.

any idea what brings me forward ? i have no limit on programming and i can do it like i want. all what counts is the result and naturally it should be great.

every tip brings me forward and welcome. maybe you have something to say, where i never wasted a thought.

ciao, charly

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I will be interested in which way you proceed. I dont have any recommendations, but we have a database which we use at work, and it was built using microsoft access, with the number of users over 100 and a tonne of records from which to search, the whole database runs ridiculously slow. The whole thing is bit of a joke really. Anyhow I briefly heard of a few changes that had been proposed, something about using a sql database and having people access it via an intranet web page. I will let you know how it goes, although where I work, things move really slow, so it could be a while.

Christopher

VIP Member
My dad's company uses it like that too. One big access database that he set to auto-reload every 5 minutes to keep things current on everyone's computers. He wants _me_ to program them a system, I laughed at that :D

I was thinking just to create a simple intranet for him. That's how I'd go about it simply because any browser can just pop it up and you don't need to purchase any IDE's from MS ;)

charly

:D

general structures are clear like secure levels and a portable version like i already build with excel. today i got linux 9 what's ready for NTFS, so i hope i can step on it. thx any way for that tip to hava look at speed and "just in time"

c u, charly

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
i would either make it browser based using ASP, or i would us VB6. the nice thing about it being browser based would be that it is remotely hosted on a server within your network and can be access from any system within your netowrk. if this was to be done in VB6, it might look more professional, being that you would have a real program, but you would need to set it up on each system that you want to have it on.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
yeah, it's free being that it is part of IIS. but VB6 still would be a good way to go as well. it has everything he need and would portray a very professional image.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
don't get me wrong here... you know i am hooked to my browser. however, i learned ASP by learning Visial Basic first in college and VB6 is a very powerfull tool when applied properly. my instructor wanted me to major in computer sience, but to be honest, programming bores me after a while. a little of it here and there is fun, but not all the time.

cptnwinky

VIP Member
I don't think it would be too big of a hassle for a company to install if they had multiple computers. Most larger companies use VNC now anyways to avoid having to install everything on every computer.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
vnc isn't bad, but i do think a terminal server is the better way to go. but anyways, good point cptnwinky. it all really depends on what one wants or likes, there are serveral ways to go about such a project.

charly

thanks a lot for your replies, so vba is the way i should and gonna use. slow speed should be within the expected area, and after all i expect databases within 30 different based structures. i guess if i do my job well 2 men can do the selling if the rest goes automacially. financial calculations should save the money for minimum 1 - 2 clerks, so i guess i can also expect my salery around the salery around 2 usual incomes what make in austria around 2000$ or higher.

after final disussion how to build it's clear that mailing and network access is used for "just in time" correspondence. thx anyway for you tips, i guess it's like u said better to use vba instead of java.

still, more tips, better program

ciao, charly

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
the program my ex employer used for all of these things you are looking for and more, was a vba application as well. however, they bought it from a thrid party. i'll let you know if remember the name of it, might be interesting for you to look at and get some ideas. :)

charly

THX, would be nice if the program works in german *lol*

i'm austrian and what i have to do should be build in german too. so i guess the chance to get in our common language is pretty low. last, but not least i make pocket money that way and your way would not bring me any cent ('s) ...

but a tip or hint is always welcome

ciao, charly

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
yeah, it was all in german. the program came from an american company with a german language pack.