ogg music files!!!

dansilva

i have recently listen to a music file that was compressed into an ogg format and was very impressed with the sound quality too. actualy mp3 size is about 3.6MB and compressed ogg size is about 1.56MB now thats some heavy compression plus i expected it to loose sound quality heavily but when i heard it on winamp player i was very much surprised.
now what i want to know is that if there is anyone who has experienced music in ogg format and how do u compress a music file (3.6mb) to an ogg file, also what tools are used. i dont know how popular is music in ogg format, but can this ultimately be the revolution of music format instead mp3?

aqsg72

<b>VIP Member</b>
mp3 size is about 3.6MB and compressed ogg size is about 1.56MB

But these cannot be generalised, they depend on length of the track and the bitrate used?

but can this ultimately be the revolution of music format instead mp3?

I doubt this, while mp3 is mainstreamed ogg requires a codec to be installed so there is little chance that this will take over mp3. Even wma format would be used more simply because so many people use WMP to rip their cds.....

dansilva

yeah u do a need ogg codec but its (ogg) an alternative. but do u know any tools that converts mp3 to ogg?