oh mirror mirror on the wall, who has the best internet provider of them all?

beers

Staff member
Any comcast lovers/haters? That's the ISP at our new place. It wasn't too bad in Blacksburg, VA but some people hate the crap out of some Comcast.

Probably will perform better than TWC in this area, hopefully they don't backhaul ALL of their traffic down to Texas, too...

Geoff

VIP Member
Any comcast lovers/haters? That's the ISP at our new place. It wasn't too bad in Blacksburg, VA but some people hate the crap out of some Comcast.

Probably will perform better than TWC in this area, hopefully they don't backhaul ALL of their traffic down to Texas, too...
I think what you'll find is Comcast itself has great service. They over-provision quite nicely, for instance I got around 240 down on my 200 plan, and their upload seems to be decent as far as DOCSIS 3.0 cable goes.

The problem with Comcast is their billing and fees. For instance, I did the self activation, but noticed on my next bill I had a $150 activation fee that I had to call up to get waived. And their advertised pricing is almost exclusively only for 12-24 months, before it then raises to a higher amount. I've also had random fee increases, like on Christmas day my internet went from $69.99 to $74.99.

Agent Smith

I think what you'll find is Comcast itself has great service. They over-provision quite nicely, for instance I got around 240 down on my 200 plan, and their upload seems to be decent as far as DOCSIS 3.0 cable goes.

The problem with Comcast is their billing and fees. For instance, I did the self activation, but noticed on my next bill I had a $150 activation fee that I had to call up to get waived. And their advertised pricing is almost exclusively only for 12-24 months, before it then raises to a higher amount. I've also had random fee increases, like on Christmas day my internet went from $69.99 to $74.99.

In other words Comcast is a bloody rapist. This shit happens to me often with the weird fees. And then you have to play the cancel this promo and get this promo all the time.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with Comcast is their billing and fees. For instance, I did the self activation, but noticed on my next bill I had a $150 activation fee that I had to call up to get waived. And their advertised pricing is almost exclusively only for 12-24 months
Sounds like Rogers. And Bell. And pretty much every provider in Canada. "We'll drop your bill by $20-$50, if you do nothing but call us once a year to threaten to leave. Or if you are a new customer. But only for 3-12 months"

Geoff

VIP Member
In other words Comcast is a bloody rapist. This shit happens to me often with the weird fees. And then you have to play the cancel this promo and get this promo all the time.
Pretty much, I cancel my plan, wait a few months, then sign up again to get the new promo.

tremmor

Call up and ask for the customer retention dept. I have Uverse. and the only other available for me is Comcast.
Tell them you are going to switch plans for a better deal. these people i mentioned above are the ones that can
and have the authority to do something for ya. got to play the game. yes.....pain in the asss..........

My bill was lowered by $70.00 for a year. Got hbo, cinamax etc free for 3 mo.
When i need to i will switch plans.

Geoff

VIP Member
Call up and ask for the customer retention dept. I have Uverse. and the only other available for me is Comcast.
Tell them you are going to switch plans for a better deal. these people i mentioned above are the ones that can
and have the authority to do something for ya. got to play the game. yes.....pain in the asss..........

My bill was lowered by $70.00 for a year. Got hbo, cinamax etc free for 3 mo.
When i need to i will switch plans.
I'll give that a shot next time. Normally when I call up to cancel they ask why, I say it's because my bill is too high, and they offer some tv + internet promo which isn't close to the deals new customers get, so I tell them I want to cancel and that's it. I'll see if the retention department can offer better options next time.

tremmor

ok........customer service just doesn't have the authority to make these decisions.
and you can do better with the retention dept.
good luck..........hate playing the game though.