Oil cooled pc Submerged in Minneral oil

Would you be interested in buy a desktop submerged in oil

• Yes, I like the idea of a computer compleatly cooled by oil and %100 visable

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • No, I think the idea of submerging a computer in oil for looks and noise reduction is dumb.

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cw88shade

Me and a friend would like to start to build Oil Cooled PC from clear plexiglass. The finished product will look something like THIS but will be built custom to the included hardware. It will have wired LED's and an air stone to create bubbles to give it a killer bad look. We are trying to get the price around 500 for a completed desktop. I need to know how many people would be interested owning a fish tank looking computer. Please let us know about your thoughts on the idea. Much thanks, C_Dub

Bodaggit23

Rofl @ the Mineral Oil Light (Mild Laxative) :D

And the poor overworked fans. You think you
would want to take them out so they're not
working through the liquid.

tasha1133

why would you opt for oil submersion system? It just doesn't make sense.. it's messy because you'll have to put the dvd drive and hardrive outside.. if noise is the reason, hardrive and dvd drive can still produce noise/vibration if you put them outside so it wouldn't really make a big difference..

G25r8cer

I like the idea although as voyager said its been done and a lot of times at that. It would be a good conversation piece anyways.

bomberboysk

1. Youd need a pretty decent sized tranny cooler or radiator to cool the oil.
2. Youd also need a pump capable of pumping the very thick oil.
3. Youd have to find a place outside the case to mount the power supply
4. Upgrades would become nearly impossible.

drdallon

This is from Puget

"The system under load was a different story. We started 3DMark06 looping, and watched the temperatures climb. It took a really long time. After an amazing 12 hours, the system topped out with a CPU temperature of 88C. Yes, that is really hot...on the other hand, the system was rock solid and didn't crash when running 3DMark06 for 48 hours at these temperatures. While you could add some radiators and pump the oil through to cool it, you realistically would not be gaming constantly for 12 hours, so these temperatures are as extreme as it gets for this system."

As for the cooling system(which isnt needed but can be installed{read the article on the Puget gaming website}) just use. http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=183

The power supply can be put in the mineral oil.

Upgrades are not impossible just very messy :D

And the poor overworked fans. You think you
would want to take them out so they're not
working through the liquid.

They stated in their article that they havnt noticed any change in speed on the fans after two months of continual running. Plus if the fans break... Oh well :D The system wouldnt need them to run under water.

Just throwing that in.

Also, this is EXTREMELY cool, i have never seen a liquid submerged computer before. It almost makes me want to get the stuff and do one my self. I say go for it man!

Last edited:

bomberboysk

This is from Puge

"The system under load was a different story. We started 3DMark06 looping, and watched the temperatures climb. It took a really long time. After an amazing 12 hours, the system topped out with a CPU temperature of 88C. Yes, that is really hot...on the other hand, the system was rock solid and didn't crash when running 3DMark06 for 48 hours at these temperatures. While you could add some radiators and pump the oil through to cool it, you realistically would not be gaming constantly for 12 hours, so these temperatures are as extreme as it gets for this system."

Just throwing that in.

Also, this is EXTREMELY cool, i have never seen a liquid submerged computer before. It almost makes me want to get the stuff and do one my self. I say go for it man!
I know how these work, ive seen it done before. 88c is far too high, not to mention it takes 4 hours or so to cool back down. And that was on a system that had pretty low end specs. Notice the better one they did, and then notice the size of the radiator on it.

LOL at the zalman reserator.....its a crappy radiator in the first place, includes a crappy pump, and wouldnt help temps much if at all tbh.

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Realistically I don't think you can get it done with $500, unless it is extremely low end. The mineral oil, tank and possible radiators would push the cost up. However, it is one way to build a completely silent system with no fans, though you'll need a fanless powersupply and all aftermarket heatsinks to help disperse the heat.

drdallon

People are not getting this.

FANS DO NOT MATTER, you can leave the fans in or take them out either way it doesnt make a difference. After 2 months the people at puget said there fans are working just fine, and even if the fans do break down, you dont need them because the cooling is done via the oil not the fans.

Also like Puget said you do not need to cool the oil but you can, read the article :D

tasha1133

if noise reduction is reason you'd want an oil submerged PC, why would you put the PSU outside! it defeats the purpose.

Jamin43

banned
Looks like a dirty mess to me. I'm guessing you can't re-use the parts on another PC build - when you upgrade either.

I'll leave vegetable oil in the kitchen - and motor oil to my car.

bomberboysk

the psu can be submersed in oil, only the hdd and cd drive cant
Power supplies produce alot of heat, plus the dielectric grease used in them is soluble in oil, and the caps can swell and burst from the oil. Not to mention the high voltages can break the oil down.

Honestly, i dont care if puget says you dont need to cool the oil. Its simple heat dissapation, the flat acrylic surfaces of the tank are not going to disappate heat well, and the loaded cpu will keep producing heat, if that heat has nowhere to go....

tasha1133

PSU produces a lot of noise.. If you're gonna go for oil submersion, what's the point in putting the PSu outside.. That just goes to show that oil submersion is just a bunch of crap..