Ok I want to order it, just gotta make sure I'm getting the right one

EWC88

Ok so its getting ordered tomarrow and I want to make sure I'm getting the best one. This laptop will be used for email, AIM, music (but on externel HD), hw, internet searching, forums..Things like that, no games at all on this.

So my choices are either: Asus M50Vm-X1, Asus M50Sa-X1. I might possibly get a MacBook Pro but if I don't those are my 2 choices.

Are they good? If there not and you think you can find something better I would want a 15.4" screen and have a Intel core duo processor.

DMGrier

VIP Member
A link to the site where you want to get those would be nice. Mac's are nice but way over priced for what your wanting to do. What is the amount you want to spend?

EWC88

Well I'm technically not buying this laptop, my grandpop will be buying it for me. Now yes I get to pick it out and everything, were just trying to see whats best for me in the long run with everything. I believe the MBP is $1799. So its more then we expected to spend. So I'm not to sure if I will get that so I'm trying to find a great windows laptop that will be best and last long for my needs..

DMGrier

VIP Member
Windows are better for the price, Hands down. If you look at what you will pay for a Macbook pro the same price windows will be twice as powerful. Mac=overated. Have you considered the Dell studio? For what it sounds like you want HD space and the studio is a great price and you can get a 640 GB HD.

G25r8cer

Dell= No GO= Problems for the rest of your life

Go for a good company such as the Asus or maybe even an Hp or Gateway

Gareth

Dell= No GO= Problems for the rest of your life

Go for a good company such as the Asus or maybe even an Hp or Gateway

Dell laptops are fine ;) The business laptops are rock stable and can handle the world (my Dad's latitude must have done over 100k miles in the past 1 1/2 years now) and my Vostro holds up very nicely aswell, especially when travelling. I think the desktops are rubbish, but the laptops are excellent.

ikermalli

Get the Mac, they are more expensive, no argument about that, and you can easily get a windows machine with better specs for the price, but macs also tend to crash less, windows crashes frequently, also since you aren't going to be gaming it will be fine, they also have the ability to run Windows and Linux so you can dual or multi boot (hehe I'm getting one later on so I know some stuff :p)

cohen

Look with the budget and what the OP is going to be using the laptop for, it is going to have to be windows. Yes a Macbook Pro, "would" be nice, but not with his budget.

I do agree, the dell laptops are pretty solid, i wouldn't recommend their desktops and if you can help it there laptops! I'm using a Latitude D505 dell from school *cough* my laptop *cough* and it is pretty good, i know one of the laptops, that sound card stopped working because the motherboard cracked.

EWC88

I don't want a DELL really, I personally don't like there products, so that I would be staying away from. HP and ASUS were the main ones I was looking at. Was the M50Vm-X1 any good?

DMGrier

VIP Member
Get the Mac, they are more expensive, no argument about that, and you can easily get a windows machine with better specs for the price, but macs also tend to crash less, windows crashes frequently, also since you aren't going to be gaming it will be fine, they also have the ability to run Windows and Linux so you can dual or multi boot (hehe I'm getting one later on so I know some stuff :p)
. Since SP1 for Vista if your Vista computer crashes that means virus. Other than that I have had no problems with crashing. And Macs will start to have this problem with viruses as they continue to sell better. The other issue with macs (go to any mac message board) is they are not built with the same quality they use to, Mac these day are all about quanity. Two biggest issues with the Mac laptops are dead pixels on the screen and HDD don't seem to last very long before it takes a crap.

Kill Bill

Get the MacBook Pro. Personally Easier Apps. Like final cut express vs sony vegas (something i think its the middle class one) and final cut is 100% easier. Also if you have a printer connected to a pc and the pc is connected to the router your mac is running on you can print wirelessly (set mine up last week).

EWC88

Heres another Asus that is more expensive. It's a newer model of the one I bought more than a year ago.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220379

It's geared more towards gamers but I figure everyone would enjoy a well performing laptop. ;) Just a thought.

I was checking that out as well, I love how it looks and everything so that was a option just incase I wanted to put CS on it and play that.

I'm goinghave to check if I can get a MBP for sure, for the time being of not knowing lets say I never said that, what WINDOWS laptop would you recommend? Don't list Dell. I posted what this will be used for on the first page.

DMGrier

VIP Member
He said the macbook pro is out of his price range, and I'm glad to see someone on this forum who brings up buying a mac realized he could do better for the price cause the macbook that is in his range sucks for it's price(all I need for evidence is its graphic card intel x3100, I won't mention the other specs.) . The asus is a great price and I would go for it.

Last edited:

Kill Bill

He said the macbook pro is out of his price range, and I'm glad to see someone on this forum who brings up buying a mac realized he could do better for the price cause the macbook that is in his range sucks for it's price(all I need for evidence is its graphic card intel x3100, I won't mention the other specs.) . The asus is a great price and I would go for it.

but hes not doing gaming how else do graphics come important.
Ok so its getting ordered tomarrow and I want to make sure I'm getting the best one. This laptop will be used for email, AIM, music (but on externel HD), hw, internet searching, forums..Things like that, no games at all on this.

So my choices are either: Asus M50Vm-X1, Asus M50Sa-X1. I might possibly get a MacBook Pro but if I don't those are my 2 choices.

Are they good? If there not and you think you can find something better I would want a 15.4" screen and have a Intel core duo processor.

Anyhow your prob right. Those cool features aren't worth it and should do it the old way

DMGrier

VIP Member
I aslo said I won't name the other specs cause they are dissapointing. And even if he isn't doing any gaming for the price all the parts should be top of the line and the x3100 is such a peace of crap it isn't funny, and from what I have seen on other message boards most mac owners agree about for the price would be it be to hard for a better card? When you pay so much there shouldn't be one area on the computer that should lack performance.

Kill Bill

I aslo said I won't name the other specs cause they are dissapointing. And even if he isn't doing any gaming for the price all the parts should be top of the line and the x3100 is such a peace of crap it isn't funny, and from what I have seen on other message boards most mac owners agree about for the price would be it be to hard for a better card? When you pay so much there shouldn't be one area on the computer that should lack performance.

A intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz Penryn
2GB
160GB HD or 250GB BTO
Superdrive