Ok, my budget is around £1000 ($1833). Someone please check these provisional specs.

Nak Nak

Damn. You gave me hope for a second...
The seller seems very good though. I sent them a quick email asking how much it'd cost to upgrade the ram to 2gb OCZ XTC (+£80) and to change the case to a Tsunami Dream (£39).

edit to ask:
I keep reading about AMD pricecuts in the near future, will these affect prices here in the UK or will we have to wait a while?

Last edited:

inclemental

the price cut is already happening in the supplier's leave...
all AMD cpu reduced $30-$50 in last month. Should have another wave around the end of July.

if you have no plan of future upgrade on CPU/ram, skt939 should be fine since you want to max your machine, video can be upgrade anytime as pci-ex will be around for a while...so no rush for the video if your budget is tight

by adding a little more preminum (really not too much), getting an AM2 system definitly be the long way to go if you decide to upgrade your CPU/ram again...

Nak Nak

I definitely want an am2. Looks like i'm getting a standard nvidia 7900 512mb too, I hear that is excellent for overclocking, bar some issues with certain manufacturers.

Nak Nak

Bump.

Is 2gb of OCZ5400 gold ram a bit overkill?
Is the performance difference between a 7900gt with 256mb of ram and a 7900gt with 512 worth £100? ($170 odd)?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Nak Nak said:
Bump.

Is 2gb of OCZ5400 gold ram a bit overkill?
Is the performance difference between a 7900gt with 256mb of ram and a 7900gt with 512 worth £100? ($170 odd)?

No 2gb of ram wouldn't be an overkill, especially for a 1.8kUSD build. Also, I don't think it's worth going 512mb 7900gt for a price leep of 170USD.

bebopin64

i think you should just buy the system in the auction. it looks like more than you wanted and its less. its also local so low shipping.

Nak Nak

bebopin64 said:
i think you should just buy the system in the auction. it looks like more than you wanted and its less. its also local so low shipping.
That auction is gone now. I'm gonna contact the seller to see if I can order it direct from his company. The reason I asked about the ram is that I can get the same system from a local seller for a price that isn't drastically higher.

And by overkill, I've been told that the OCZ gold ram is very high end. I wondered whether or not it would be a better deal for me to replace it with either just a 1gb OCZ or 2gb conventional ram.

Thanks for the replies, I understand that everyone is probably sick of seeing this thread revived.

Last edited:

Nak Nak

Ok, didn't end up getting that ebay pc (although it is still there). I'm now wondering if there are any parts that could be improved within a £100 range, as in: my budget is now around £1100.