OK, need help putting this together

briscoe

Hello all... I have not built a computer since the late 90s so please forgive me here.

I have an Asrock z68 motherboard and a 700w power supply, but I can't figure out what goes where.

I plugged in the 24 pin connector of course, but there is another "12 v" connector that I never remember ever having to deal with, and I have what looks like 2 power supply connectors that look like they will fit. Can someone lease help me out?

20koorn.jpg

213myo8.jpg

29bhkqc.jpg

StrangleHold

Staff member
Thats the 4/8 pin CPU power connector. The one in your hand is a 6/8 PCIe power connector for video cards. There should be a 4/8 pin power connector on your power supply for the CPU power connector on the board.

briscoe

Thank you for the reply... is this the one you're talking about?

If so, does it matter which one goes on which side?

wjg9cj.jpg

StrangleHold

Staff member
Thats the right one. They should snap together. If not the clips go beside each other in the middle. They are probaby keyed so they will only go the right way.

briscoe

Thank you! Just 1 more possibly dumb question and I will be set.

I am waiting on the CPU, RAM, and hard drive to get here... right now all I have connected to the board is the PSU its self, here is my question.

Is it safe, or even possible, to turn the power supply on just to see if the case fans are working or if I hear any error code beeps? It's just to help me feel better by making sure the board works and the power supply works.

I'm guessing with a CPU I won't see or hear anything (not even error beeps), just wanted to ask to make sure.

Thank you for the help so far!

StrangleHold

Staff member
Probably can. If you have a case speaker or a beeper hooked to the board speaker pins. You would get a bunch of beep errors for the missing CPU. I would not leave it on for long since there is really no pull on the power supply.

briscoe

ok I doubled checked the front panel connections and made sure they were correct.

No POST but shouldn't the case fans at least spin even without a CPU?