OK Need New Hard Drive

Stildawn

As some of you know Im having problems with my current HDD with low performance etc...

So Im gonna get a new one.

So what should I do:

1. Get another 500gb one and RAID0 with my current one for faster performance.. (but bearing in mind that my one now seems to be running slow as hell)

or 2. Buy a 1tb new one... With this one, I want the most performance possible.. So what do I need to know about HDD's? Is crache size important? What about average read/write speeds? And what is the latency?

Cheers

Last edited:

zer0_c00l

:Di would get rid of the old one completely,..showing signs of going out...1 decent 500gb is more then enough for most people. i just use mine for games so i only use small drives... more cache would give a little better performance not much..just stay away from 8mb buffers :D

Last edited:

fmw

RAID 0 will be less reliable and the performance increase only marginally better. I've seen a lot of problems with RAID 0 setups and I don't care for them personally. If your current drive is 60% or less filled, then the same size will be fine for you. If it is filled more than that, I would opt for a larger one when you replace it.

Twist86

Personally I prefer low 250GB-320GB drives for primary...less clutter fast formats and enough space for anything you wanna do.

Then get a 500GB + drive and use it for storage...leave it unplugged till you need it then power down hook up then store it all.

This way the drive stays good for a very long time and you don't lose all your data you want to keep.

I been doing this to my first PATA HDD and its lasted over 8 years now since its not always on.

Just my 2 cents on the matter though.

awildgoose

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=559

I can get this for $165, but it doesnt say the read/write specs etc and since its a hippy friendly one Im worried that it will be less performance to save the planet or something.

Or this:

http://pconlineshop.co.nz/pcshop/product_info.php?products_id=27860

For $170

??

Out of those two, the Western Digital is better. W.D. I have found make better drives and are usually more reliable.
And I am pretty sure that the Seagate has three pallets and the W.D. has two.
Because HDD's (not SSD's) are like super cd's. They have spinning things inside of them, not 1, but two or three. If there is three, than the data has to travel across three things and takes more time. If there is two, it doesn't travel as far.

And just because it uses less power, doesn't mean it's bad.

Stildawn

The thing is that no where on it does it say the speed.. The WD website doesnt say either. And the article says 5200-7200rpm? What does that mean.

Stildawn

Yeah well Windows is now rating my HDD as 5.9 lol so thats better than my 5.4 I use to get so Im happy.

It was built like two months ago so probably.

But damn lol the old problem occured again lol, cant get PC Mark05 to run the HDD tests.... using a different SATA cable..

So is there anyway to test SATA slots on my MOBO? Its the only thing I can think of?