old old tech advice

warp10sulu

Hi all... i have a very old computer i use mainly for emulation and some you tube videos. It struggles to run the n64 emulator, so i'm going to replace the ram( already got 2x 4gb ram) chip and graphics card. (it has a Gigabyte M61 SME-S2 motherboard with 1gb ram, amd 64 x2 5200+ chip, and GeForce 6100 nforce 405 gcard). Would the amd phenom ii x4 970 black edition be the best chip? ... and any cheap graphics card advice would be appreciated too. Power supply is 300w. Thanks.

warp10sulu

Since that motherboard is AM2, AM3 cpu will not work in it.

CPU support list here.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-M61SME-S2-rev-2x#support-cpu

Look under AM2+ section

The Phenom 9500 thru 9750 is what you would need.

At this point, replace motherboard, cpu and ram.

Thank you for the reply. A more recent motherboard might be the move to make with this pc if i can find a half decent one cheap enough... i was trying to keep this build around the $200 mark.... with the veiw of buying top end stuff a bit at a time to build a new machine in six or so months time, finances allowing...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Your current motherboard only supports DDR2 ram, any newer motherboard would need DDR3 or DDR4 ram. If you want to use the newer phenom II X 4 cpu's then you'll need an AM3 motherboard and ddr3 ram and most likely a new copy of windows.

warp10sulu

Your current motherboard only supports DDR2 ram, any newer motherboard would need DDR3 or DDR4 ram. If you want to use the newer phenom II X 4 cpu's then you'll need an AM3 motherboard and ddr3 ram and most likely a new copy of windows.

Cool, ok. thank you again for replying, i'm sure this old stuff is boring for you, but it helps me a lot. I think i will keep this motherboard, get the 3.5GHz amd 64 x2 6400+ chip and a second hand nvidia gt440 for the moment and save like fury for the best motherboard i can get for the new build. Any advice on a motherboard that will be a bit future proof.... i.e. that in six or seven years a new chip/ram/video card would freshen up the system for a couple of years after that? I presume it would need to have ddr4 ram, the northgate built into the chip and a stack of ram and video card slots......

beers

Staff member
motherboard that will be a bit future proof.... i.e. that in six or seven years
That's a long time, but it depends on your goals and budget. If you do something like a coffee lake Celeron that suits your needs for a few years then you can certainly pull something like that by dropping in an i7 and stretching out the platform. Most use cases aren't that extreme, although I'm throwing a 4690k into my dad's g3258 iracing build since they've come down a lot as an example.

Am4 boards were slated for 'four years' of support but we'll see what's up as it matures. Most Intel sockets only last for an initial release and a refresh cycle.

warp10sulu

That's a long time, but it depends on your goals and budget. If you do something like a coffee lake Celeron that suits your needs for a few years then you can certainly pull something like that by dropping in an i7 and stretching out the platform. Most use cases aren't that extreme, although I'm throwing a 4690k into my dad's g3258 iracing build since they've come down a lot as an example.

Am4 boards were slated for 'four years' of support but we'll see what's up as it matures. Most Intel sockets only last for an initial release and a refresh cycle.

Im thinking a gigabyte x299 aorus gaming 9 motherboard with i7 chip probably 7820x.... no real need for 8 cores, but the future.... who knows what 4k stuff i might want to do... and what that will need... I had to buy a new 4k HDR tv last month just to play best graphics on ps4 pro..... if that gives you an idea of what i'm chasing system wise, i would love some advice if you have any better ideas around the same sort of system and price....